By Anonymous - 23/07/2016 04:17 - United States - Gilroy

Today, I was heading out for my flight to Australia. I'd put a padlock on my luggage to keep my wallet and passport safe, only to realize way too late that I'd left the key at home. I couldn't get at my passport and ended up missing my flight and my whole vacation along with it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 284
You deserved it 9 518

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Generally my passport and wallet stay on my person at all times when I'm traveling, so I don't understand why you would even put them in your luggage, let alone lock them in there. Especially since your passport is needed several times before you even board the plane and both items should at least be in your carry on luggage with you on the plane, not in your checked luggage. If they are in your carry on luggage, it's with you all the time, thus not needing a lock either. I could understand having a lock for the luggage during your vacation. It sucks you missed your vacation, but YDI.

Normally it's better safe than sorry, but you're too safe, and I'm sure very sorry!

Comments

tounces7 27

Seems like you could have bought a pair of scissors or a knife and cut the bag apart if need be. It is an airport so there's generally other luggage for sale.

Did you try asking the security if they had pliers or something? I wouldn't be surprised if they did, people often lock their bags and if there's something suspicious when they screen it they have to get in somehow...

Here is an idea, don't be a dumbass

chessu 21

Definitely YDI, my friend! Why put the two things you will need constantly in your luggage? And if it really came to that then I'm sure new luggage would've been cheaper than new flights, so I would've found a pair of scissors and cut that zipper open.

Have you never traveled by plane before or something? I kind of feel sorry for you, but that was just plain idiotic.

A ball point pen pushed in-between the zipper will allow you to unzip the suitcase without removing the lock.

cut open the bag and buy a new one in a store at the airport

...why would you padlock your luggage in the first place? A pickpocket probably couldn't get into a zippered pocket anyways (at least, not if you kept your bag in sight), and if they've already stolen the entire bag, it's not like it's hard to slice open some luggage. If you're seriously that worried about having your wallet stolen, get one of those pockets-on-a-string you can wear inside your shirt.

I might have ripped open my whole luggage for a new one on the spot. That might even be cheaper than losing the whole trip.

+1. A trip to au is probably several K$, a suitcase - $300 max.