By Kannachan13 - 28/08/2013 23:02 - United States - New York

Today, I was fired when a customer called corporate, saying I was unprofessional and rude. The "customer" in question was my little sister, who I would not let buy beer with a fake ID. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 339
You deserved it 3 085

Kannachan13 tells us more.

Op here. It's an at will state, and the store had a strict please-all-guests policy. From what I was told it was out of my bosses hands as they actually called corporate and there was no proof it was her. As far as parents well I doubt anything will come of that

Top comments

Surely they have to keep a record of who the complainant is??? And when the alleged incident occurred? Her childish behaviour warrants her being dragged by the ear to your head office to please explain.

Did they not know who filed the complaint or why the complaint was really sent? Because they should probably check that out first... Bring your sister to your boss to explain what she did, why she did, and to apologize.

Comments

circlelranch69 1

I think maybe your a rude person and maybe your sister called maybe she didn't, but you've been rude you Know it. When a smart ass treats me rude, dude I will wreck that businesses life for a week.

Bludmagnus 13

And that is a little girl in New York that needs to be slapped as hard across the face as lights blink in Times Square.

Op here. It's an at will state, and the store had a strict please-all-guests policy. From what I was told it was out of my bosses hands as they actually called corporate and there was no proof it was her. As far as parents well I doubt anything will come of that

Just so you know, even with at-will employment, you cannot be terminated for refusal (or the lack thereof) to perform a task if it would result in the violation of a federal, state, or local law, in accordance with federal law. If you bring your case to court you'll almost certainly win it. Also, if you review your employee handbook and find that they did not follow the termination procedures stated in it, then that's also wrongful termination. It doesn't matter who was called or what state law is, they cannot legally fire you.

#72: The employer CAN fire OP for whatever reason they want to, or none at all. That's what at-will state means. So, yeah, she can be fired for not doing something like that, hell, she can be fired because her boss doesn't like the shape of her boobs, and it would be legal. At-will means at-will. Whatever reason or none at all.

Exactly. The complaint might have been the main reason OP got fired, but technically, they could cite any other reason (even "just because"), and it would be perfectly within regulations because the employment was at-will. Union jobs are the only places you have any kind of protection from stuff like that.

That is false. Many people think that at-will means anything goes, but federal law, which always takes precedent over state law, says that you cannot be fired for refusal to violate a law. They can fire you for it and claim that it was for something else, but you can still prove in court that you were fired for another reason. Also, the shape of her boobs is illegal because it is based on appearance and gender. The only time appearance and gender can be a factor is "adult" entertainment and performing arts. Again, federal law says so, and state law must follow federal law.

^comment is right. I live in a state with legalized weed but the Feds can still arrest you for having it because it's still considered illegal to them. Federal Law beats out State law.

That doesn't mean they can't fire op for no reason. If they say no reason, all op can do is speculate a reason.

Are you dense? His sister wanted him to BREAK THE LAW. You CANNOT be fired for refusing to break the law.

You CAN, however, be fired for NOTHING.

I say be equally childish and ell your parents

so grow a pair and go beat the snot out of your sister. and make sure she knows that her ass whooping is specifically because she cost you your job.

Nonono, that's a terrible idea! It's illegal, not to mention that it would probably destroy any sympathy her parents may have had.

Illegal? Shoot then most people in America should be in jail then. We all kick our siblings' asses at one time or another

SpcNemo 10

Kill her. I mean uhh. Get her back? Somehow? Idk... Nothing really matches making you lose your job. Brat.

Get her ass arrested for owning a fake ID.

At Will means you can be laid off for nothing they have to honor your unemployment claim. They can't fire you at will they can only terminate your employment at will.