By bruhskoni - 31/05/2015 02:25 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I was exhausted due to staying up all night practicing for the most important performance of my orchestral career. I decided to take a nap to energize myself in preparation of the evening and woke up just in time to realize I'd missed the entire concert. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 467
You deserved it 11 574

bruhskoni tells us more.

Haha, yeah. I did set an alarm, but I was so exhausted I slept right through it and my clock turns itself off after about 20 minutes. I'm also studying for finals so it's just been a very awful stressful time period. To all of you guys saying YDI, you're totally right. I spread myself too thin and didn't adequately prepare, so it was all my fault. Luckily it was a small ensemble performance, and 2nd chair took my place, rather than a big solo, so it wasn't the end of the world that I missed it, but it was a big opportunity to exhibit my talent. There will be more to come though, and I will make sure not to be sleep deprived! Also to all y'all saying "sorry for your neighbors", luckily my school's music building has very nifty sound proof practice rooms which I spend a lot of Time in. Thank you all for your support and I'm mad excited this got published. To anybody else who also just suffered through/is taking finals, may luck be on your side!

Top comments

Even though this is an FML, set an alarm clock next time!

Comments

Who doesn't set alarms knowing they have something important ...? I guess it happens to the best of us but no sympathy here .

Sometimes those alarms don't help. I set three at a time when waking up for work, about 15 minutes apart, and I'm STILL paranoid that my brain's gonna be all 'No you want to sleep!'

If it doesn't work then find an alternate . Justifying being irresponsible, in my opinion , is a juvenile . Accidents do happen, but still have no one to blame but yourself . To each their own though I guess .

It's not about being irresponsible. It's about accommodating for certain things you can't control, for example, what your body does when it's in a restful state. Don't be ignorant.

It has nothing to do with that. She made a choice to stay up all night . Didn't take appropriate actions to make sure she was on time , they deserve it. Way to open your mouth and remove all doubt about ignorance . This is my opinion and I won be swayed . You are more then welcome to yours. Don't call some one ignorant unless you have a well articulated counter to my opinion, or do so I couldn't care less . I'll bet you're one of those people who makes excuses for everything instead of accountability . Anyhow, I believe I wasted enough of my time to argue this futile point .

33, put your alarm clock across the room. That way, you HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off. Works like a charm for me!

I guess I'm just a deep sleeper, #49. Back when I lived with my parents, someone would usually be there to wake me up. Now it's a bit more difficult because I live on my own. I'm not saying I'm making excuses for not waking up #46, I'm just voicing my paranoia because it scares me how easily my body can fight against what I want it to do. I asked you not to be ignorant because it seemed as though you were assuming that OP was being irresponsible and hadn't set an alarm. At this point, we don't have that information, and I'm letting you know that alarms can fail sometimes. That is all.

#58, 3 alarm clocks 15 minutes apart probably don't help very many people. I set 3 alarms TWO minutes apart because I can't wake up if they are isolated by 15 minutes. That, and I don't consider myself a heavy sleeper at all.

I do it that far apart so that if I don't catch the first one, I have that little safety net for the other two times, depending on where I'm at in my REM cycle. Now I understand it isn't practical for some, but it works out for me. As long as I get my ass up and go to work and pay the bills, I'm good.

You just said, "Sometimes those alarms don't help" Now you're saying they do? make up your mind!

Yes. Sometimes they do. And sometimes they don't. What was difficult about that?

Set alarm on your phone and put that phone in a cup. That sound even wakes up the dead.

You should've called someone over to wake you up on time or something like that. Best of luck for your future endeavors!

Don't worry op! Eventually you'll get another, hopefully even better opportunity to show your talent! But props to not fainting or puking, cuz that's probably what I would have done.

Ooh, this makes me think of those alarm clocks that pop up a target that you have to shoot to get it to stop blaring. Literally firing at it.

That's blows. Hopefully there was someone to fill your place.

BlockOfRedStone 25

Many of us learn the hard way that you should never take a nap before something extremely important unless you have someone you can trust to wake you up. It's better to take a whole lot of caffeine and sugar - even if you're not a coffee type of person you should drink some coffee with extra sugar. If caffeine and sugar isn't an option, then the better option would be to not get yourself into that kind of situation at all (by that I mean going to sleep early). It's better to be there and perform bad/adequately than to risk not being there at all.

rhcpgurl 18

That really sucks that that happened to you but I wonder, if it was really so important why couldn't you set your alarm? If something were that important to me I set 2 alarms. Sorry but YDI

2? Haha I set an alarm every 30 mins starting 3hrs before and then every 5 mins starting 1hr to 30mind before : p! Ofcourse that's when I haven't slept at all studying or being out at the bar the night before!