By Anonymous - 02/05/2015 09:59 - United States - Broken Arrow

Today, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My mom's reaction was, I shit you not, to tell me to "walk it off". FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 135
You deserved it 2 670

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Xobubblyxo 23

Nice to see "shit you not" has survived

Parents are kind of ....special. Especially when they have never been in your certain situation.

Comments

To all the jack wads acting as if diabetics with type 2 somehow deserve it, screw you. I'm type 2 and have always been active, with a healthy weight, and diet.

ZombieVampirez 24

My roommate does the same. He has had type 2 for almost 10yrs. No one deserves it. Life just sucks

I am so over people acting like I deserve it. Seriously... **** you.

No one deserves either type of diabetes. I do think changing the names would clear up a lot of confusion and resentment. Then the "blame" issues could be dealt with better rather than t1s saying its not t2, and t2s having to explain why they didn't "cause" their diabetes.

Exactly. Its about dealing with what life throws at you and helping others deal with it too. Not blaming people for the hand they were played. It's what they do with it that counts.

I've been a type 1 diabetic since I was 18 months old and honestly, throughout my life, I've gotten so many, "but you're not fat!"s than you could ever believe... People can be stupid. You have to just ignore them and...walk it off ;)

Sorry if this is ignorant, but I thought you got type 1 diabetes from birth, and you could only get type 2 after that. Can anyone explain how it works?

You can get type 1 throughout your life as well. I have 3 friends who developed it after birth. I also remember Nick Jonas was also diagnosed with diabetes type 1 quite a few years ago.

Type 1 can appear anytime throughout adolescence.

mjBUD 6

Type 1 can occur anytime, usually during the younger years. It's like cancer, the body attacks itself for reasons unknown, leaving the person without beta cells which produce insulin within the pancreas. Therefore, said person has to check their blood sugar and distribute insulin themselves.

Pharmkitty 11

Type 1 is considered an auto-immune condition in which the body is attacking the cells of the pancreas that make insulin, which is required to decrease blood glucose. It can appear at any time from birth and even into early 20's. Type 2 is a problem where the body either can't produce enough insulin from too much usage (usually from poor diet) or insulin insensitivity. Although it is completely possible for someone who is not overweight to develop type 2, as genetics play a part as well.

They think a virus can trigger it I think. I am an identical twin and my sister got it age 11 and I don't have it.. i think it might be something about genes having the potential to get it and being turned on and turned off?

Actually, there aren't really reasons to one getting diabetes. Sure, there are some speculations and assumptions like it being genetic or caused by your own body, who attacks specific cells, but none of that is 100% truth that you can rely on. The type of the diabetes does not really limited by age..... usually the t1 comes in a younger age and t2 in an older, but not necessarily.

It's usually in people under 25. They have antibodies from birth then something triggers them and the body attacks itself and happens to focus on the insulin producing cells. It is an auto immune disease like MS but it kills off a different part of the body. Basically organ failure xD

dudefromasia 3

**** everyone that thinks type 1 diabetes is someones fault. Been a type 1 diabetic since 2004 was in 6th grade. You can become a type 1 diabetic any age even aftee birth. Not easy as walk and no more diabetic.

Even thou she made a pretty douche-like commet, I kind of understand that..... She's probably have no idea what to do with you being type 1 diabetes, since she doesn't know much about it (like almost everyone else, as you'll find out) and has never faced a similar situation before. I tell you this as a fellow t1 diabetic (6 years), people aren't sure what to say when they find out about that.....

Scheffy213 17

That's completely terrible. type 1 diabetes sucks i know from personal experience. just have a good support system and everything will be alright just be prepared for the rough patches

That isn't cool. Diabetes is no joke and a very serious thing people have to deal with. I hope she comes around and starts supporting you.

type one is treatable by exercise and eating right. so walk it off ain't bad advice

Violord 13

That's type two. Type 1 is autoimmune and has nothing to do with weight.

#56 actually, exercise is known to be important also to t1 diabetes. A healthy lifestyle that includes exercise helps alot, for ex., to maintain the blood sugar and to increase the body's sensitivity to the injected insulin.

Exercise can really screw you up though too. Especially in type 1s It's hard enough keeping your sugar levels vaguely stable without throwing that grenade in there If a type 1 were to just "eat right" and exercise they would be dead within 24 hours.

Type 1 is only treatable by insulin. Avoiding carbohydrates can make it a little easier becauserit reduces the error margin for meal time injections but you are essentially trying to replace a whole organ that can respond to every change in your body. Exercise complicates thay balance a whole lot.

Violord 13

I have Crohn disease. When I was eight (when it first appeared), I was underweight and constantly having diarrhea, and the doctor said I would just be short at my adult height. The worst part? My dad believed him. I totally feel your pain, OP.