By BaWanda - 30/06/2014 23:39 - United States - San Diego

Today, I smacked my kid on top of the head for spinning the display rack while I was looking at greeting cards. It wasn't until he dramatically screamed and dropped to the floor wailing that I realized he wasn't my daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 545
You deserved it 48 180

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And you're first reaction was to resort to physical violence (instead of at least a verbal request/warning for them to stop) without even confirming that it was your kid, let alone the same gender? In my opinion, YDI.

toowie_fml 20

Does that really deserve a smack in the first place?

Comments

And you're first reaction was to resort to physical violence (instead of at least a verbal request/warning for them to stop) without even confirming that it was your kid, let alone the same gender? In my opinion, YDI.

#1: *your Sorry everyone. I'm usually really good with grammar/spelling but it was past 1:30 am when I posted that.

Mistake or not, if I catch some random asshole smacking my children upside the head, there'd be hell to pay. While we're on that subject, OP. I'm all for corporal punishment. But spanking should be limited to the buttock area. No matter how you look at it, smacking a kid's head makes you look like an abusive brute. More so in this case because you didn't bother giving the kid a warning before striking him. You only seem sorry that you made a mistake and hit someone else's kid...

I think it comes into play how hard he hit him. not that hitting some random person is OK. but if it had been his daughter and it was like a Gibbs smack. I don't see the big deal.

i agree. i would be crazy pissed if i found out some random person touched my kid, let alone smacked them. and what happened to the talk first and then a swat on the butt. i cannot stand people who hit others upside the head; it's a degrading feeling and you sound like a jackass because you sound only sorry that it wasnt your kid.

39 the big deal is OP didnt even look at the kid let alone tell it to stop before smacking it for something so incredibly stupid. communication for ***** sake. my mum could stop me doing anything with a look & by saying my name with a tone. if you cant discipline a kid without hitting it you do not deserve to have one.

**** the kids life, I hope you didn't hurt her.

It's ok. It's 1:30 where I am and I just goofed on my post as well. I completely understand your plight (it's not often that I get to use that word)!

No worries, it's all good. Wow it is 4:30 time to hit the rack.

Yea at this point I just pull an all-nighter. Why not.

#18 Me too. I can't wait to check this post out in the morning. Goodnight 'all! #20 Maybe #18 meant to say that...

Hppefully the parents weren't too upset with you and the kid was okay!

"Hopefully the parents weren't too upset"? I don't know about you, but I would have blown my top if someone smacked my kid on the head. A sorry would not be enough for such fuckery.

Yeah...I'm hoping the parents were pretty upset actually. OP needs to learn that this is not okay. As in, both the not noticing the child wasn't even theirs and the physical punishment (which I don't really agree with anyway but, as others said, if you're gonna do that at least give verbal warnings first and maybe don't smack on the head area).

i hope the parents gave op a smack on the head. piece of shit deserves so much more.

toowie_fml 20

Does that really deserve a smack in the first place?

Good luck explaining this to the actual parents. Remember to keep your guard hand up.

A simple "knock it off" would suffice next time buddy, and then if the kid didn't knock it off it's maybe worth a light smack.... But not something that'll leave the kid crying on the floor...

And now to deal with the mother hen.

Draxanoth 15

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

No one deserves to get hit, least of all a child.

Maybe his parents were able to discipline him by talking to him, giving him time outs when he goes too far and generally respecting him in order to create a relationship of mutual respect and care (still different respect for adult and child but respect nonetheless)? I don't agree with physical punishment in principle but I understand it can be difficult being a parent and sometimes it might seem that nothing else is gonna make them listen...but it's still a last resort. What kind of monster suggests that a child may not be hit enough likes theres some kind of quota to be filled?! No.

When i was like 4 my mother would pinch me when i was a brat. And i go into the habit of every time she pinched me i dropped to the ground screaming "YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T PINCH ME ANYMORE!"

I assume a vicious pinching cycle ensued.

Usually she told me to get up or she was gonna leave me. If that didnt work she would go hide behind the corner of the aisle until i got up and stopped crying

91hayek 31

wow are you a time traveler because I swear I saw a small girl do the exact same thing at the mall today. Also she was East Asian so maybe that wasn't you.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway