By Gibsonsgfreak21 - 25/03/2014 05:32 - United States - Northridge

Today, I learned the hard way that when I ask a cute girl if she's artistic, it sounds like I'm asking her if she's autistic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 873
You deserved it 5 373

Gibsonsgfreak21 tells us more.

Hey everyone! I'm the OP! Didn't think my post would be this popular! I don't have an accent- I'm from SoCal, but I was in a crowded class so it was hard to hear, so she just repeated what she thought I said. I've been talking to her for a while, but I asked her if she was artistic because we were really bored in a 3 hour class, so drawing would've been a fun distraction (although I can't draw to save my life). When I told the story to a couple friends, they thought I said 'autistic' instead or 'artistic' as well, so I guess she wasn't the only one. Also- I've done a lot of work helping children with autism. I've never say 'autistic' because i believe in ability before disability (ie. Saying, "A boy with autism" is better to say than "an autistic boy"). I explained what I meant to say and she laughed, so the FML isn't THAT bad. :)

Top comments

#22- im nearly positive, unless i am socially inept, that this was an attempt for conversation, not a pick up line

Comments

I'm curious of what the hard way entails?

Tell her you may have a speech impediment. Then she'll feel like the jerk. Once you explain the mistake it should be something to laugh about.

To be honest, I don't think that lying about having a speech impediment is a good thing to do and it's insulting towards people who actually do have a speech impediment. He should just let it go. Also OP, I'm sure there are alot of cute girls in California waiting for you :).

I wasn't saying that so he would lie. Sounds to me like he can't pronounce his r's. Which to me, is a speech impediment. no need to be offended. Obviously if it was just a slip of the tongue just say so. There's no need to be offended.

If she is take her to Las Vegas. Charlie...Charlie Babbitt. Burn the baby...K-mart sucks.

Are you from Boston or NY? It do you have some other accent?

What happened? Do you have a speech problem or something?

OP most likely has an English accent or somethin'.