By EnglishLearner - 09/11/2012 16:23 - Switzerland - Mannedorf

Today, I had to present a program to my supervisors in University. Not being a native English speaker, I used my own invented abbreviations for parameters in the program. Apparently STD is not an appropriate abbreviation for "standard deviation." I can still hear them laughing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 829
You deserved it 8 111

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Quiet_one 22

As a native English speaker, I've seen "STD" used as an abbreviation for the word 'standard' before and it was no big deal. I think your supervisors just need to grow up a little. Don't worry about it, OP.

Well, that was not professional of them. Don't worry, we've all done some stupid mistakes. You should still be proud of the fact you're able to study in a foreign language.

It's not exactly an uncommon abbreviation for Standard Deviation, I'm fairly certain I saw it on more than one thing during University. Sure, it might make people snigger immaturely on time to time, but they probably knew what you meant and just have a bit of a childish sense of humour. Which isn't always a bad thing. Also, I highly doubt you're the first person to do this, even in front of them.

"By the end of the month everybody will have an STD!"

Apparently, there's also an STD degree. Not sure what, exactly, it is, but it's something religious.

Epikouros 31

Yes, it's an abbreviation of Sacrae Theologiae Doctor, Latin for Doctor of Sacred Theology, the Roman Catholic doctoral degree for pontifical universities (universities approved directly by the pope).

Ah yes. My sister and I noticed a book in my dad's library that was written by someone with STD after their name, and we had a good laugh about that. We wondered if, after getting the title, people said, "I got my STD" or "I am an STD."

perdix 29

I'm sure your ANAL* was excellent. *That's our widely-used abbreviation for "analysis," you should be using that in class, if you want to look knowledgeable.

Don't worry OP, I once made a similar mistake on a project about "saving the daisies".

Actually, it IS the standard abbreviation (I've taken more than one statistics class). I guess your English was better than theirs.

STD actually is a valid acronym for standard deviation. It shows up that way in Microsoft Excel and I believe calculators as well. Were the supervisors ten years old?