By pincushion - 31/12/2015 05:47 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I had a CT scan done with contrast. My tech seemed competent in his job so I wasn't nervous, until he tried to start my IV. It took him 3 attempts to get it right. Not only was I stuck 3 times, he also blew one of my veins. I now have severely bruised arms and what look like track marks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 116
You deserved it 1 630

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theblondeone 16

As a phlebotomist in a major hospital, this is extremely common and unavoidable, especially if you are dehydrated or have crappy veins. It's not necessarily the tech's fault.

Try warm packs if you have bumps and cold packs for the bruises with some tylenol or ibuprofen and the bruises and bumps should clear up quickly. Hang in there OP and I hope your CT results come out ok. - Nurse Becca

Comments

theblondeone 16

As a phlebotomist in a major hospital, this is extremely common and unavoidable, especially if you are dehydrated or have crappy veins. It's not necessarily the tech's fault.

I was just about to comment the same thing. It seems unfair to suggest the tech wasn't competent because of something so common. It happens to me all the time, I'd love for it to only take 3 attempts to get the vein...

I was going to say the same thing. However, are you allowed to insert IVs as a phleb? We aren't... Either way, IVs are an absolutely pain. They're trickier than simply drawing blood. On a side note, is one person allowed to try more than twice with an IV? We have a standard rule that if you miss a vein twice trying to draw blood, you can't go a third time. Also, OP needs to see patients on Kumadin who go in for INRs. Their entire arms are basically permanently black and blue. OP will live.

Agreed. It seemed kind of dickish to say the tech is incompetent. IVs are tricky. Sometimes they get a vein but it won't take fluid -- that happened during my last IV. I have thick skin and deep, rolling veins, so I always have multiple sticks and bruising. That's life.

I've been to the hospital a lot for my diabetes and it usually takes the nurses like 5 to 6 times before they can get it right

Pretty much the same thing happened to me when I got a HIDA scan over a year ago. It took two different people and getting stuck three times to get it and I had to hold my arm completely straight and still for hours because the vein they managed to actually get the IV into was so thin that it could very easily fall out. Not really their fault though, I just have really crappy veins. There is one phlebotomist at a Hospital I go to who is fantastic. Wouldn't expect a big Norwegian dude like him to be so gentle at it but you barely feel a thing. He actually inspired my sister to eventually become a Medical Assistant when she was pretty much on death's door years ago at that Hospital. She would have to get pricked so many times that it was driving her insane and he was the only one who would do it painlessly.

I feel your pain. I hate needles. Feel better

As an X-ray and CT Tech, this happens a lot. I just graduated in August and when I fail at my first attempt for an IV, I immediately have a co worker try, if they can't get it, we have a nurse from the ED come start it. I hate having to poke a patient twice. It is common to be poked two or three times. Like someone else said, dehydration makes it difficult. Or if you have rolling veins or thick skin or deep veins. A number of things can make it difficult. and sometimes a vein does blow, it shouldn't, but it happens. the tech should have noticed right away. OP use heat packs and ice packs and compress it tight. now days they even say just to compress it and do away with the heat or ice. take care and good luck. to the idiot who said to sue...welcome to America where everyone just wants to sue for little things...get a life... sh!t happens and get over your perfect little life. let's see you never make a mistake.

Sometimes I think the meme of America being sue-happy is way more common than the actual evidence supporting America being sue-happy. Doesn't help that there's misinformation about stuff like the McD's hot coffee incident (where the women was in the passenger sit of a non-moving vehicle, and the coffee gave her third degree burns *inside* her genitals, the coffee was kept hotter than regulations allowed because the store wanted to save a few bucks, and she only sued for her medical bills) and the woman who sued her nephew *had* to do it because it was the only way to get her insurance to cover the medical bills - she actually talked it over with the family first to do it. She still has a great relationship with her nephew.

ugh as a person with rolling veins and very few good veins at that I know that battle all to well... I miss the clinic we went to when I still lived in Calgary... We went to the same one every time I needed blood drawn because there was this tiny older German lady who was so amazing. She would put a warm compress on, and she was good at keeping me calm (major needle anxiety) and so that really helped too, but she was the only one we found who could get blood drawn first time every time. When I go donate blood I always let them know in advance about the rolling veins so they usually have someone with lots of experience take my blood.

22- Everyone has rolling veins. It's their job to roll. And if a vein is particularly unstable, we will notice without you telling us. Next time, just tell the phlebs that you tend to be a tough stick. Telling us that your veins roll annoy us more than anything. Or you can simply request someone with experience when you get drawn. They should find someone and you'll be less nervous :)

not everyone has rolling veins, I've been donating blood for 7 years+ and have never been stuck more than once to draw blood or have an iv started

MonstreBelle 28

22- Kudos to you for donating blood despite having major needle anxiety! You're awesome :)

Every time I give blood it always takes a few tries and the phlebotomist tells me it's difficult because I have rolling veins. I don't know anyone who tells the phlebotomist they have rolling veins, i've always known it to be the other way around. If everybody had them it would be odd to find it annoying or even comment on it...

Nurses try the best they can . Some people just have bad veins . It didn't take 3xs to get it right . It took 3xs to find a vein that would hold a I.v site .

My veins roll around- So I totally understand. When you get that perfect phlebotomist its always a good day. For me, ice and elevation, and if it's particularly bad, then rub some vitamin K cream on it. Hope your tests came back ok!!

my veins roll too, and unfortunately I really only have one good one in each arm where they normally draw blood. For me it's heat, and keeping calm (I have needle anxiety and it seems like the veins are even worse when I get really anxious)

That sucks.. it once took an army nurse seven times to draw blood from me, even though my veins really stick out clearly, and the puncture spot was black and blue for two weeks.

OHHH if you're talking about the veins that are super easy to see on your arm they actually aren't all that great! I asked my local vamp (I swear she calls herself that) and she that most of them are surface veins and dirty dirty liars. Plus, it's easier to get a deeper vein because allows more wiggle room.

Yer shit like that happens a lot I work in CT and do that as a job lol

Why would the CT tech be putting in an iv? Anytime I've had those the nurse or a phlebotomist puts the iv in before I go to get a CT scan.

Depends on the hospital. Smaller hospital some times the radiographers are trained in it. I don't like it because we don't do it that often, and it's something you need to keep practicing to keep your skills up.

had the same shit happen to me, except it took 4 attempts to get it right. and I had one of those people who move the needle around under you skin. I feel ya.