By AFH2O - 14/07/2014 23:04 - United States - Visalia

Today, I got chewed out by a parent for putting her kid underwater. I teach swim lessons. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 531
You deserved it 3 879

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wizardo 33

Sounds like her brain is water logged. Don't hold your breath and dive into the deep end with this one, dangerous and annoying waters.

Apparently nobody bothered to "tech" you how to spell.

Comments

That's like someone taking their kid to McDonald's and chewing them out for giving them a happy meal.

darlingdollie 24

There will always be irrational people, OP. Maybe the parent thought you were moving too fast for the kids pace, but who knows. Keep your head up :) Pun intended

Learning how to dive to get toy rings was part of my swim course that I took when I was young. Sorry for the parent's misunderstanding, OP.

rileyrae 11

I don't think the mom understands swimming

Unless her child is Jesus, he/she is going to be submerged underwater at times while swimming.

The way this FML is worded seems odd to me. "Putting her kid underwater" gave me the impression of OP just throwing the kid in the pool and teaching the-- sink or swim method.

Sometimes you can't coax kids to go under, and if it's part of the lesson, like level one or salamander or what have you, you need to help. Most kids are scared of the unknown, so you just tell them to blow bubbles with their nose, grab their sides, and quickly dunk them. They're underwater for less than a second normally. It's equivalent to moving their arms during front crawl.

sleepyhead978 4

"All parents screw up their kids"- Dr.House #overprotectivenessisannoying

askullnamedbilly 33

#whywouldyouuseahashtagonFML

Over protective parents , gotta love em

That'll teach you OP, Doing your Job properly how dare you.

ShortyJorty 9

Right because it's totally normal to swim overwater not underwater. Air swimming, it's the new rage.

That's not what's happening here -_- When a child learns how to swim by themselves, the easiest way to teach them is by letting them swim completely underwater first - you can do that with much lesser effort that having your head over water, so they become confident in themselves and learn how to keep balance in the water. Apparently, the parent didn't know that it's normal to put the whole child under water.

kingdomgirl94 29

nudge nudge, hint hint, sounds like sarcasm is strong with this one. There is no other way to swim unless you think the kid should be taking flying lessons.

blazerman_fml 17

I think I'm gonna give up on the sarcastic comments.People misunderstand and think the rest of us are arrogant bastards!its really hard to express tone while typing out a text!

ShortyJorty 9

The force is not strong with #47.