By hell - 14/11/2015 21:08 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I got called into work on my day off. I ended up being written up for being 15 minutes late to a shift I didn't even have. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 888
You deserved it 1 784

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Clearly you were supposed to be waiting outside your workplace all day. YDI.

Your boss is an asshole and an idiot. Fyl op.

Comments

that calls for a new job. man that's bad luck...

I hate when management sucks that bad, hope the job is worth it. Goodluck!

Alright, let's see… 15 minutes late for a shift you /didn't/ have makes you… 15 minutes /early/ for a shift you did have. You've got to account for the double negative, OP.

Don't know about others....but I....sure as hell...didn't understand a word.

Well, I obviously simplified for brevity. The actual calculation takes hours.

But hitting thumbs down only takes seconds.

How did you not get that? It's a grammar joke.

You should fight that. It was your day off and they should understand that. How rude of them.

kmw003 17

I wouldn't accept it if I were you. I'd go to HR or someone higher up or something like that. I'd also probably be job hunting as well. I've been there and done that with awful management, it's not worth it.

corky1992 33

You deserved it..even though it wasnt your orignal shift if they tell you to be there at a certain time then you should be there at that time. Its unprofessional to be late even if they did call you in.

Maybe they called him last minute not giving him enough time to get ready and get there and be on time.

corky1992 33

If that's the case, then yes the boss is a dick, but you'd think they would have mentioned that in their post.

#20, you do know that FML edits these posts right? It's a possibility that OP did mention that originally but FML editors could have possibly taken it off...just saying.

corky1992 33

My job has always given people plenty of notice on what time to come in when calling someone in..and I saw this post in the moderation section they were told to come in at 3:30 and they got there at 3:45. sounds like the were late to me. if you're late you have to suffer the consequences

Here's the thing that you don't seem to get. Not all jobs give you enough time to get to work after being called in. Also OP could have been across town and didn't have their uniform/work clothes on them. I sure as hell wouldn't be carrying those with me on my day off. There is a number of reason why OP was caused to be late and unless OP responds we can only speculate as to why.

Lol I live an hour from town. If I got called in with only half an hour notice, as in the norm, I would be 30 min. Late. And that's just drive time. Not including getting ready and getting the kids set.

The OP actually didn't mention whether they were asked to come in at a certain time or not. For example, if their boss phoned and asked if they could work from say, 09:00 and they shown up at 09:15, then they're late. I highly doubt this is a case of the boss expecting OP to be a teleporter.

Suppose the boss phoned at 8:30 and asked them to be there at 9:00 knowing that they have a 45 minute commute just to be an asshole.

I would have turned around and gone home. YFI for not standing up for yourself.

That is really good advice for someone who wants to get fired. Terrible advice for anyone in the real world who needs their job. The best thing OP could do would be to not sign the write up, and take it to a higher office for review.

Wrong it's great advice for someone who doesn't want those their job and dread going to work. Been there done that I was miserable now I'm not you do the math. There's always a better job and not worth being treated like crap taken advantage of and abused.

Been there, when I waited tables. Depending on traffic it could take me nearly an hour to get to work so when they would call me in a panic on my day off after someone didn't show for their shift they'd get ticked off when I was late to cover someone else's shift.