By OPhere - 15/04/2013 07:37 - United States - Hayward

Today, I found out that Yale had actually accepted me 17 years ago. My mother apparently burned my acceptance package and letters because she didn't want me to upstage her UChicago degree. FML
I agree, your life sucks 113 079
You deserved it 4 956

OPhere tells us more.

OPhere 5

OP here. To the people who said I deserved it, my psychotic mother actually had the balls to craft a ******* rejection letter and mail it to me. I was sixteen and had never seen an authentic denial letter from Yale---you guys would've believed it, too, had you been in my shoes. To the people who keep bringing up e-mail: it was 1996. As my generation will tell you, we grew up without the internet. To the people who agree that my mom's a bitch, damn straight she ******* is. My daughters and son will not be seeing much of mee-maw anymore, nor will I. To the people who said I wouldn't be who I am today without that lie: Doesn't matter; parents are supposed to nurture their children, not deprive them for personal gain.

Top comments

perdix 29

In some fields, University of Chicago is more prestigious than Yale. Maturity is not one of them.

Comments

Wow...that would sever any good ties I had with her, personally. How heartless...

Your mother's in a class of her own, that's for certain. I'd want nothing to do with her if I were you, OP.

born_hustla 26

Is your name Cinderella by any chance? Haha that's messed up though. Sorry, dude.

vencku 13

I was wondering if someone else had noticed that there have been several "parents destroyed/waylaid acceptance papers to university" recently. I ended up turning these ones down during moderating. It's getting hard to believe people are all finding this out around the same time...

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It doesn't sound that way.. it sounds like she just didn't want OP's success to meddle with her life

When I started flight training, my dad remained skeptical, but supportive. Now, I'm just months away from living my dream, despite my dad's skepticism, but with his support. There're much better ways of "looking out" for your kids than what was done here.

pkom96 5

You could honestly file a lawsuit against her.

Wow, that was really immature and bitter of your mother. What kind of mother drags down her kid; you're supposed to want them to be even better than you....If it were my mother, our relationship would be forever changed. Talk to her about it I guess. FYL

ariana_mia 6