By dawg - 15/12/2014 03:50 - United States - Stuart

Today, I found out that the "IRS scam" that I ignored last week was actually not a scam, and now I have a warrant out for me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 707
You deserved it 7 037

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well with the amount of fake ads there are out there I don't blame you. It's uncanny how many times I've been 'chosen' for a free iPad.

jojimugo 20

Comments

Even if you think its a scam you should call the IRS to check. the "warrent" might be a scam as well, if I were you I'd call them right now to check.

#14: However, if your father *were* legitimately contacted by the IRS (a threat of jail for nonpayment by end of day would never be the first someone hears of a tax problem), your father would've had serious problems if he'd ignored it.

The IRS will almost never communicate with you by phone. The only time you'll get a phone call from the IRS is if there's something like an ongoing audit and the auditor is calling to give you an update or schedule an appointment or something along those lines. If you got a call from the IRS and now they're saying there's a warrant out for your arrest, I'd seriously consider that to be a scam because I somehow doubt that you owe enough money and for a long enough period of time that they'd put a warrant out for your arrest. For amounts that don't scream "TAX EVASION", the IRS will usually only put a lien on your accounts until you pay it off. If I were you, I'd call the real IRS and report the scammers. Everything I said, however, does not apply if you did something seriously wrong. Then, you might be screwed, but they still will generally only communicate with you via snail mail.

one single rule I learned from my colleagues experience...if you have such call coming in...please call the IRS first and confirm....

tnf0920 9

Sounds like this post is a scam lol. The irs wouldn't issue a warrant a week after sending you something unless they've been sending you stuff for months and have tried other means to contact you. Which would mean you knew what they sent wasn't a scam and you chose to ignore it or you made up this post to get something on fml :p

Hey I got that call to. The IRS will NEVER CALL saying there's a warrant but if you talk to us we can make it go away. It's another scam!!

Unless OP is a big time tax evader and owes the IRS hundreds of thousands of dollars and they've ignored countless letters from the IRS I'd have to say that OP is being targeted by a scam. They threaten warrants for arrest and immediate jail in order to scare victims into wiring money immediately to clear the bogus warrant. This type of jail threat scam also comes in the form of aggressive "debt collectors" trying to collect on a debt that has already been paid or was never owed. Sometimes they'll pretend to be calling from a law firm tasked by a creditor with bringing a law suit against the scam victim. I know this because my law firm's name was used by a con-artist trying to make his scam appear legit. Spent several weeks fielding calls from upset and irate people thinking my firm was trying to sue them and having to explain to them what was really happening.

Sathane 21

Man. I feel for ya. Has the same thing happen with Canada Revenue, the Canadian "IRS" (not as polite as you might think). No warrant but they locked my bank account on me. In my defense, the lady that called was instructing me to don illegal stuff, such as going to get a bank loan to transfer money even though she was told repeatedly that I was filing for bankruptcy.

It's...unusual for the IRS to put out warrants unless you're actually suspected of a tax related crime. For back taxes they sometimes even file a return on your behalf and then contact you to collect the money. Either way they HOUND you if they want something, they wouldn't send just one letter and put out a warrant. Sounds like phishing IMO. Contact the IRS office and ask.

"Hey, send us your credit card numbers! If one of 'em is lucky, you win a free iPad!"