By Anonymous - 20/05/2017 16:00

Today, I found out that the electricity company can just show up unannounced and cut off my power, but cannot find the meter for a whole 10 days to switch it on again. It's currently dark and 7°C in my bedroom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 005
You deserved it 466

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not sure where you live but in most places where people have the free time to post an FML, their power meters are remotely controlled. The power company can turn it off and on from a computer somewhere and don't have to actually come out to your actual meter and actually move an actual switch. If not, you can tell them you've got meds in the refrigerator so can they please turn the power on so you don't die.

Have you considered paying your bill?

Comments

EnvyMe33 26

I effin hate the electric company!!! It's easy to turn off power but harder to turn it back on, what kind of bullshit is that?!? Ugh, I feel your pain and I hope your power gets turned back on soon.

joeyl2008 29

I'm assuming it's different in other places but where I live they usually give you a decent amount of time before turning off your power after missing a payment. They even send a disconnection notice prior to doing so.

Not sure where you live but in most places where people have the free time to post an FML, their power meters are remotely controlled. The power company can turn it off and on from a computer somewhere and don't have to actually come out to your actual meter and actually move an actual switch. If not, you can tell them you've got meds in the refrigerator so can they please turn the power on so you don't die.

maye in most places. but I live in a pretty major city in an overpriced apartment in a relativly nice part of town and ive had my power cut off manually

That's 44 degrees Fahrenheit which is sufficient refrigeration for almost every medication, including insulin. The bigger concern would be OP coming down with hypothermia while asleep. Because you don't wake up if you become hypothermic while asleep.

Have you considered paying your bill?

jgriff79 23

The electric companies send a disconnect notice before they shutoff the power!

Not if they shut off the power to the wrong house.

Don't you know where your own meter is? Can't you show them? Why would it take ten days of searching for it?

Oh, they can find it -- they just don't want to find it so quick. Knowing this nudges you to actually pay your bill.

WeirdUS 29

IF they shut it off generally they send someone out to turn it back on. After the disconnect notice goes out they can shut it off whenever. You have to pay off the whole of what was passed due to turn it back on.

There's a lesson to be learned here. PAY YOUR BILLS. Then they will have no rain to cut your power. I bet you keep your cell phone bill paid.

SparksFly5347 0

You should check and see if they are controlled by a public service commission. Usually (once you pay your bill), they are required to reconnect within 24hrs.