It's a mystery

By Anonymous - 07/09/2022 17:00 - Australia - Cremorne

Today, our water got cut off. Since our council tax is also due today, I called them and hurled abuse for cutting off the water so soon. Turns out they don’t actually supply water, nor was it even disconnected. Some random person just turned off the meter tap. FML
I agree, your life sucks 313
You deserved it 1 142

Same thing different taste

Top comments

you were right to be angry, and right to call the local council... but wrong to hurl abuse at someone before finding out what actually happened. if this is the speed you jump to yelling at problems, I would recommend talking to a therapist, you might have some stress built up you need to figure out.

Congratulations on telling the council that you haven't paid your taxes. I'm sure only good things will come of you being so prompt about reporting your delinquency.

Comments

you were right to be angry, and right to call the local council... but wrong to hurl abuse at someone before finding out what actually happened. if this is the speed you jump to yelling at problems, I would recommend talking to a therapist, you might have some stress built up you need to figure out.

OP wasn't right to do any of that. They put 2 + 2 together and made 5. A calm, rational adult wouldn't skip confusion and go straight to anger, a bill paying adult would know that there is a company that supplies their water (unless it was their very first time and no one explained they needed to pay a water bill), and an adult who should have known this wouldn't have gone on an abusive tirade to some innocent person who answered a call that was made to the wrong place. If OP went out into the big, wide world and didn't bother to learn who provided what to their home, that's on them. Also, the council tax wasn't late, so jumping to the conclusion that the council was withholding water until OP paid up was always going to come back and bite them. By their logic, the gas and electricity, along with maybe the wi-fi and other things, would have been switched off too, and that makes it even more odd that OP didn't consider any of this before deciding to yell at a random council employee.

the reaction is what they were wrong to do as I said. but being angry the water is cut off without any known reason is fair. and calling a local council is also fair since done would assume they would either know why or know who would depending on the type of area op lives in. but throwing a fit at the first person to answer the phone is shitty. It should have been: call, ask what's up, get directed to the local water company, and they come out and look it over, solve problem. being angry doesn't mean they have to yell and stomp their feet.

It was maybe 30 seconds of frustration.. abuse was probably an overstatement. I do live in the “big wide world” if that’s a thing… just moved from somewhere that water is supplied by council hence the misunderstanding. The fml was more getting wound up and lashing out over something within my control. Appreciate the psycho-analysis though! Wow if you can come to such a precise conclusion of someone over a 200 character spiel without context… you truly should be a life coach. Thanks again

Congratulations on telling the council that you haven't paid your taxes. I'm sure only good things will come of you being so prompt about reporting your delinquency.

Tax got paid on due date, wasn’t delinquent. Just felt stupid getting so wound up & lashing out over something unrelated that I could have solved myself :(