By nicktrelos - 27/01/2015 14:07 - Greece

Today, I found out my girlfriend is bulimic. Like that wasn't bad enough, I found out because she spent all of our rent money on food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 078
You deserved it 3 702

nicktrelos tells us more.

I'm not making it about myself - I'm not happy with the money loss, of course, but 350€ is nothing compared to how much I care. I meant it in a "that's devastating, and this sucks too" way if that makes sense? Thank you all so much for your support. We've been together for years, and she's my best friend in the world. It's hard to believe I never noticed the signs. The rent will be taken care of, right now getting her help is the most important thing :) I'm going to support her every step of the way. I've been learning about eating disorders all weekend (event was actually from Friday), and I can say for sure it wasn't a matter of being selfish. She's sick. That's not her fault, it's everyone else's for making her feel worthless. You're all incredibly sweet! A bit sour about the jokes, but that's okay, haha. I never take anything seriously myself. We can get through this :)

Top comments

amelitaliz 22

She needs help and sensitivity right now. Poor thing. Sorry you have to go through this, OP!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I hope she gets help :( bulimia is very unhealthy. I feel bad for both of you. One of my best friends is recovering from anorexia so I know how difficult it can be.

Comments

I'd say dump her. I realize she has an eating disorder but it was way too selfish of her to spend all your rent money on food. Even with a disorder like that she should have had enough sense and/or respect for you to not put your whole living at risk

That may be true, but people like her in some cases, cant help themselves. They feel obliged to get food in any way possible. It's a very serious thing.

People who are mentally ill cannot always think and act rationally. It's not being selfish, it's being ill.

Rebecca, you see that`s where you`re wrong. Mental illnesses can cause you to not think properly, thus not think about what you`re doing. I am sure that OP`s girlfriend feels bad about it but on the other hand, she shouldn`t because its not her fault that she has a mental problem.

Not to play devil's advocate, but isn't it posing a mental and financial risk to OP to have to be the one helping someone who deserves professional attention?

#131, I agree that she needs professional help, and it is too much for her boyfriend to handle on his own. However, she needs a support system, and it seems like OP is more than willing to help. He needs to remember to take care of himself and monitor their finances, though. I do see where you're coming from there. I just know how lost I would have been if my boyfriend and close friends had left me when they found out I was anorexic because it was "too much" for them to handle, and it makes me sad to hear that some people with mental illnesses actually have to go through that. It sends the message that they are burdensome to their loved ones, which can make the disorder worse. So yes, this is an awful situation for both of them, but I don't think breaking up would solve anything, because they would miss each other and her eating disorder would probably get worse, at least partly due to feelings of abandonment and betrayal. I don't think OP's life would necessarily improve (emotionally, at least) if he broke up with his girlfriend over her eating disorder.

I ran into a doctor that handles these things in my visit to Athens a year and a half ago, a I don't remember his name, but if you live near or in Athens, the General Hospital of Athens should be your first stop.

Isa_fml 20

I read your reply and as a woman with an ED I am so glad you're supporting her. You sound like a pretty great partner and she is lucky to have you. Take care of each other, I wish you all the best.

ask her to consider anorexia. it'll be a lot cheaper.

I have anorexia, bitch. It's not a ******* joke.

Anorexia is even more deadly and dangerous than Bulimia. She could literally starve herself to death. OP doesn't want to lose the woman he loves, he wants to help her. I know it's just a joke but I don't think he wants to read these types of comments right now.

I'm so glad to hear that you are getting her help. All she needs right now is support. I would know, I'm recovering from anorexia and I didn't really get that when people found out. I hope during her recovery process you are understanding but it sounds like you are :) you're an awesome person for being so supportive!

If i were me, id just leave as bad as that sounds, i know this will get 100 downs but why bother

Helldemon 32

Hopefully we can get you more then 100 ^^

Wow. You're an ass. She needs help. Have some sympathy OP

Where did he "Not show sympathy"? He was simply stating that it sucks how she wasted their rent money on food and do you think its pleasant to have a mentally sick girlfriend? And read his follow up, he said he wants to get her help, I think youre the "ass".

Sorry OP, but you must stay close with her and be a sweet boyfriend, tend to her needs and she will over come the mental illness. Good luck! (:

Your girlfriend is extremely sick and you should not be angry with her. That will only make this worse. What you do need to do is find help for her rather than posting on fml about this

Queen_of_Night 20

Scroll up, he's already done just that.

I pray you both find a strong support system as you deal with this. If you need financial help- check with your faith community if you have one. If not, check around, many Christian churches have funds set aside to help in cases like this. I don't know about other communities of faith, but I'm sure they do something. If you don't have that send me a message and I'll try to find you help.