By nicktrelos - 27/01/2015 14:07 - Greece

Today, I found out my girlfriend is bulimic. Like that wasn't bad enough, I found out because she spent all of our rent money on food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 078
You deserved it 3 702

nicktrelos tells us more.

I'm not making it about myself - I'm not happy with the money loss, of course, but 350€ is nothing compared to how much I care. I meant it in a "that's devastating, and this sucks too" way if that makes sense? Thank you all so much for your support. We've been together for years, and she's my best friend in the world. It's hard to believe I never noticed the signs. The rent will be taken care of, right now getting her help is the most important thing :) I'm going to support her every step of the way. I've been learning about eating disorders all weekend (event was actually from Friday), and I can say for sure it wasn't a matter of being selfish. She's sick. That's not her fault, it's everyone else's for making her feel worthless. You're all incredibly sweet! A bit sour about the jokes, but that's okay, haha. I never take anything seriously myself. We can get through this :)

Top comments

amelitaliz 22

She needs help and sensitivity right now. Poor thing. Sorry you have to go through this, OP!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I hope she gets help :( bulimia is very unhealthy. I feel bad for both of you. One of my best friends is recovering from anorexia so I know how difficult it can be.

Comments

. therapy definitely helps resolve this...hopefully your girl friend will get through this..

ok Bulimia is serious and she needs help, but she made the choice to spend all that money, that's all on her.

My oldest sister was bulimic & it was tearing her up inside (both physically and mentally) get her some professional help asap!

Praying for you both… I don't know if you believe in that kind of stuff but I do so I will have both of you in mihx

uchihadesendent 14

That suck. My best friend have bulimia.

"As if her being bulimic wasn't bad enough" She's the one with the problem OP, not you, so maybe stop complaining about having a girlfriend with problems and maybe try helping her? Or else she doesn't deserve you.

I'm not making it about myself - I'm not happy with the money loss, of course, but 350€ is nothing compared to how much I care. I meant it in a "that's devastating, and this sucks too" way if that makes sense? Thank you all so much for your support. We've been together for years, and she's my best friend in the world. It's hard to believe I never noticed the signs. The rent will be taken care of, right now getting her help is the most important thing :) I'm going to support her every step of the way. I've been learning about eating disorders all weekend (event was actually from Friday), and I can say for sure it wasn't a matter of being selfish. She's sick. That's not her fault, it's everyone else's for making her feel worthless. You're all incredibly sweet! A bit sour about the jokes, but that's okay, haha. I never take anything seriously myself. We can get through this :)

Well at least she has a wonderful person to help her to get better.

LittleMissShadow 16

That's wonderful. With that kind of attitude she'll hopefully be on her way to recovery soon :) Best wishes

I hope she gets better your a wonderful person OP

It's extremely sweet of you the way you speak about your girlfriend, but I feel like I must point out that the comment 'She's sick. That's not her fault, it's everyone else's for making her feel worthless.' is going to lead you down a slippery slope. You can't really start blaming other people when someone gets ill like this, it's a mental illness and 99% of the time it is nobody's fault. If you, and by extension your girlfriend, truly believe that the rest of the world 'made her bulimic', then she will never be in the right frame of mind to get better.

Lmao she ''doesn't deserve him'' she's the sick and stupid one who blows important money towards a disease n which she certainly can control better than that.

Please educate yourself on what Bulimia is and change your Good Guy Greg picture to something else while you're at it, Slinger...

83, you may very well be the most cruel and cold person I have ever encountered. This goes for all of your comments, you clearly have no clue what a mental illness is, why don`t you look it up? Unbelievable there are still people like you out there..

Marcella1016 31

I'm sorry I'm confused OP...what is the connection between her being bulimic and the cost of the groceries?

People who are bulimic eat, but they dont digest. I believe that they throw it up, hoard food, different things like that. The cost of the grocieries may be caused by that but you will want to look it up to be more sure.

Queen_of_Night 20

#52- I think you meant "you don't deserve her". Even so, I think finding out that your girlfriend is bulimic is pretty hard on top of which now they have no rent. How about you not make this out to be about you? OP- You're a pretty awesome guy! #103- Bulimia is categorized as a eating disorder in which a person binge eats then purges. I watched a documentary where a bulimic ate 6 plates full of food at a Chinese buffet then threw it all up the moment she got home. She was abnormally skinny so she had a huge pot belly. It's an awful thing. OP's girlfriend spent their rent on her binges.

In a way it is some peoples faults. I developed anorexia at a very young age because of my low self esteem due to being bullied very badly and because of societal standards of what women should look like. Don't get me wrong, it's not everyone else's faults because I have a major part in it too but other people can make you see yourself as worthless and disgusting.

love will help her! I was that way for years! hugs

Bulimia is very secretive, it's not something most people notice. We appear normal on the outside, but most of the damage is done internally. You're a very sweet boyfriend, I'm glad she has someone like you to take care of her :) best wishes

I have a friend in this situation. His wife was bulimic for years before they married. Being sweet, caring and helpful is great, just don't forget to take care of yourself too. I've all but lost my friend because he was completely absorbed by fighting that monster bulimia. But she also seemed to be using it to control him. Whenever we're supposed to hang out she would have a bad day. Now they've got kids and she's gotten help with the bulimia, but she's still very controlling ... just now with other means.

You're the kind of person that everyone with an eating disorder needs in their life.

Marcella1016 31

Ah 106 thank you. I knew bulimia was when people threw up their meals, but I didn't realize there was a binge eating aspect to it. I thought they just threw up what they ate. Kind of annoying how people get downvoted here for asking for clarification of FMLs, it was a valid question. Thanks again 106.

Isn' bulimia when you don't eat, or am I mixing it up with anorexia?

So happy that you're here to help her get through this. Without my boyfriends support, I wouldn't have the strength to recover from my own ED. Good luck to the both of you. xx

#k137 That's anorexia. Anorexia is when someone starves them self because they think they are fat even though they are seriously underweight. Bulimia is binging (eating massive amounts of food) and purging (making them self vomit or take laxatives), like OP's girlfriend.

#57 You sound like a good boyfriend and like you really love her. It must suck to find out this way. At least now you know so you can help and support her.

Binging (spending all the rent money on food) and then purging. That's a very basic explanation.

Don't leave her, it's bad enough for her. And money doesn't buy happiness so you should worry about that later :) *hugs*