By nicktrelos - 27/01/2015 14:07 - Greece

Today, I found out my girlfriend is bulimic. Like that wasn't bad enough, I found out because she spent all of our rent money on food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 078
You deserved it 3 702

nicktrelos tells us more.

I'm not making it about myself - I'm not happy with the money loss, of course, but 350€ is nothing compared to how much I care. I meant it in a "that's devastating, and this sucks too" way if that makes sense? Thank you all so much for your support. We've been together for years, and she's my best friend in the world. It's hard to believe I never noticed the signs. The rent will be taken care of, right now getting her help is the most important thing :) I'm going to support her every step of the way. I've been learning about eating disorders all weekend (event was actually from Friday), and I can say for sure it wasn't a matter of being selfish. She's sick. That's not her fault, it's everyone else's for making her feel worthless. You're all incredibly sweet! A bit sour about the jokes, but that's okay, haha. I never take anything seriously myself. We can get through this :)

Top comments

amelitaliz 22

She needs help and sensitivity right now. Poor thing. Sorry you have to go through this, OP!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I hope she gets help :( bulimia is very unhealthy. I feel bad for both of you. One of my best friends is recovering from anorexia so I know how difficult it can be.

Comments

This is the best time to show your love and support for her.

I'm glad OP commented and cleared things up

You jerk. You can't go around saying, "Oh no, my money is gone!" when she obviously needs help. Bulimia is a terrible, aggressive mental disorder, and she needs help and support, not you giving her another reason to feel guilty.

Yeah, he can give her plenty of support when they're homeless.

blazon_paradox 23

Way to turn another person's medical condition into something people can feel bad about for you. WTF, dude?

I hope she gets help for this and I hope you support her through it all as you should. Good luck to you both!!!

You're saying you're not making it about yourself, but your original post does just that. You're complaining on FML about the bulimia and the absence of money because of it. Both are troubling circumstances but it sounds really disrespectful, despite how you meant it, just so ya know. Good luck to you and your girlfriend getting over this.

I imagine the most painful part of this for OP is the feeling that his girlfriend didn't tell him that she's bulimic. Maybe he feels like she doesn't trust him enough to share something so serious with him. It's probably more likely that she's ashamed and didn't want to share it with anyone but it would still hurt. It's hard enough to find out about a loved one having an eating disorder but this is a really horrible way to find out.