By Enyo - 01/01/2013 17:35 - Reserved

Today, I found my dogs freezing outside. My neighbor was supposed to watch them while I was away, and on my way home I called to let her know she should let them have a quick walk. She thought I'd be home soon enough that she wouldn't have to let them back in. It was minus 10°C out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 692
You deserved it 4 322

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yarrachel 16

Wow, what a stupid and lazy neighbor!

catkat1988 17

Maybe you should find another dog-sitter next time...

Comments

At least you got there soon enough! Your neighbor should have a bit more common sense than that and have asked you whether you'd be home soon enough to keep the dogs out. I really hope you don't leave them there again, or, if you must, be very explicit when you talk to her so the dogs are safe.

I wouldn't trust that asshat with pets ever again after that. Who knows what other stupid shit they did.

Similar things have happened to me, I would bitch her out if i were you!

yeah ShadowPlayer, it's only the average temperature of Alaska afterall...

14f Yup that's warm enough for a stroll on the beach. Lets swim while we're at it!:D

Maybe if you live in Minnesota or in driving distance of the Arctic Circle, but most people would consider 14 degrees F (which is what -10c works out to) pretty ******* cold. As for you, OP, your neighbor is an idiot to leave dogs out there for any length of time longer than a walk so they can "do their business" I hope your dogs are okay.

I guess it would depend on the type of dog. If they were Siberian Huskies then that shouldn't have been an issue. Next time you should be more specific. If I had thought you were going to be home within the next few minutes, I probably would've done the same thing. Since they are a part of your family you shouldn't leave something like that to chance.

You would let dogs outside in the freezing weather and just leave them there? There is no logic in this. The majority of people would let the dogs outside and then, when they've done their business, let them straight back in again. Not leave them unattended in the freezing weather.

Siberian Huskies are more well-built for the cold than other breeds, but that doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to frostbite. Last year round Christmastime someone left a husky tied up all night in front of the SPCA in -25C weather, poor thing had to have part of his ear amputated and the tip of his tail from frostbite. They can stay warm if they're moving - like sled dogs do - or if they're sleeping in a giant pile - which sled dogs also do.

It sucks for your dogs obviously, but it's a little weird that you call your neighbour on the way home to tell them to let your dogs out. If you're home soon, couldn't you have done it yourself? If you aren't coming home soon, you shouldn't leave your dogs in someone's care without being sure it's a responsible person. It's careless of your neighbour but their intent wasn't bad :s

Yeah this really sounds more like OPs miscommunication. You tell your neighbor you are on your way home and if he has something to do he puts them in the back yard. Nothing specific as if he had said I will be home in 6 hours. If they are big dogs 14 degrees for an hour may not sound pleasant to all of you but not a big deal for most dogs. Chihuahua, just set the microwave for defrost until the start yapping again. *prepares for onslaught of thumbs down from chihuahua lovers.

Or her dogs might have an incontinence issue lol my dog piddles when she gets overly excited. when I've been gone a while, I always have someone take her out before I get home. just avoids a mess lol

KiddNYC1O 20

Don't be surprised if your dog spent most of your away time outside.

-10c really isn't that bad. One time, my cat ran away and spent all day outside in about -15, and came home perfectly fine in the evening.

Probably because it found somewhere that was warm?

He's a long-haired Himalayan, and -15c is truly not that cold. My dog, a little beagle, plays in the snow at that temperature; that kind of weather is really not that detrimental to cats or dogs, especially for a short period of time.

A short period of time, no. But pets are just as susceptible to things like frostbite and hypothermia as humans are. Your long-haired cat probably found somewhere warm - a garage, maybe. I am not a fan of people letting their cats outdoors to roam free (my cat has a harness and a tether, he's content to stay in the backyard while we're out there) - when I worked as a receptionist for a veterinarian I saw way too many cats come in because they'd been hit by a car, fought with another animal, or the absolute WORST, in pieces because they'd crawled inside a warm vehicle engine to escape the cold, and someone had started the engine without realizing there was a cat in there. Much like for people, domestic animals shouldn't be exposed to harsh elements for too long. I would not take my dog outside in -10C weather for longer than 20 minutes unless he was equipped for it (foot covering, at least - lower than -20 and the jacket comes out). Frostbite can cause animals to lose their ears, tails, even entire legs. And of course harsh heat isn't any better if the dog has nowhere to find cool shade and isn't given plenty of water.

I can't help but disagree about the cats outside thing. My cat goes out all the time as did my old cats and most of the other cats in my neighbourhood. They're solitary animals who are nocturnal, they want to be outside at night. If they're inside all the time they don't get to follow the instincts they were born with.

I cannot agree, simply because -10 has never seemed like a temperature that could cause concern to me. I mean, the other day was -10 and it was relatively warm. So warm, in fact, that I walked to work to enjoy the weather. I just cannot believe that this temperature, for less than 8 or so hours, could actually seriously harm most cats or dogs.