By Anonymous - 01/01/2013 18:23 - United States - El Cajon

Today, I woke up to a small fire on my roof, burning up small twigs and branches. The cause? Last night, I threw a sparkling firecracker up very high, only to have it blown onto my roof by the wind. It's going to take $2,000 to fix the damage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 980
You deserved it 52 435

Add a comment

You must be logged in to be able to post comments!

Top comments

Common sense isn't so common.

IconicLemon 8

I bet $2000 you wont do it again.


Common sense isn't so common.

I motion it to now be known as uncommon sense

Motion seconded.

And with that Motion Passed...

oj101 33

Well, at least not in California.

That's a classic Voltaire quote.

IconicLemon 8

I bet $2000 you wont do it again.

You're going to spend it on your cat aren't you?

I'll take that wager! Seeing as it was common sense not to do it the first time, who's to say he won't have the urge to say, "hey, maybe it'll work next time!"

Remember the first basic law of physics: What goes up must come down. Be grateful nobody was hurt and only the roof was damaged (I assume).

YDI, it's Karma for doing something stupid like firecrackers in a residential area... He's just lucky it didn't land on someone else's roof and cost him even more.

22, first that's not exactly karma, secondly, why would it cost more to repair a different roof? Oh and lastly, nice thread jacking there

It would cost more because he would need to pay for both the roof repair and the legal costs, in addition to fines and community service.

skyenoelle 15

Sounds like a great start to the new year!

UniqueAnt21 3

I guess you can say "ignorance can be a bitch"

Why did you do that anyways?

Because OP thought it'd be too extreme if he set off fireworks in his house.

How did the fire wake you up if it was on top of your roof?

Reading comprehension: get some.

Are you that stupid?

Yeah...YDI. In the land of shake shingle roofs, we know all about how firecrackers/fireworks can be deadly. Trouble is, too many idiots don't get it,-- still. Adding you to the list.

Actually I have a feeling that OP fully understands this. Now, at least.

And you didn't notice the fire the night before how?

Beer and/or pot?

A smouldering piece of firecracker could have taken hours to set a fire, especially if it was damp outdoors. Fires can spread pretty quickly, but the type of roof is also a factor. Less likely to spread as fast on a tin roof - but once it found some kindling? Off it went. My neighbour's roof caught fire last fall because the neighbour behind her was burning things in a wood stove in his yard (one he isn't supposed to have, according to by-laws) - a tiny spark landed in her gutters, which hadn't yet been cleared of leaves. It took about an hour for flames to show up - if it had been really dry, it could have gone up in seconds and taken the whole house with it. Luckily she was out in her backyard with the dog when it happened - she called 911 from her cell and grabbed the garden hose, managed to get the worst of it before the firefighters came. But messing with firecrackers/fireworks in a residential area is a pretty stupid thing to do. Even if we're using sparklers to celebrate, we always go out to the road (far enough from trees/homes/grass) in case someone drops one or something unexpected happens.

pheebs314 17

If it burned slow/low enough... It could just smolder through the night. especially if they live somewhere damp.