By CaptainKidd - 30/01/2016 02:34 - United States - Jonesboro

Today, I finally scrounged up enough change to do laundry, so I loaded up my car, swung by the bank to take out my rent money, and stopped at a gas station to get a drink. When I came outside, my car was gone, along with all my clothes and rent money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 981
You deserved it 2 936

CaptainKidd_fml tells us more.

No, I didn't leave the car running. I do leave an extra set I keep hidden in the car so in the two minutes I was gone, I guess they got lucky. To clear up some confusion, I'm a college student and have to live paycheck to paycheck. I don't get paid nearly enough at my job, and as soon as I get paid, that money goes to rent, leaving just enough for food. For laundry, I save up the change I get from work until I have enough to do a load.

Top comments

Comments

Oh my god. I truly feel sorry for you. A couple months ago my friends car was stolen right out of his apartment complex. They caught the guy, but not before he sold it to a cheap ass dealer and to another guy. That sucks major ass OP. FYL

Ask if the gas station had cameras that caught anything. They usually do.

Who pays their rent in cash? Why would you leave your money in the car instead of keeping it in your wallet? Why would you scrounge change if you have a bank account?

zeffra13 31

I wouldn't leave that much money on me if I was about to go out somewhere, I'd put it in the glovebox. Otherwise, yes I wondered the same thing.

I've almost always paid my rent in cash, or used said cash to buy a money order. The OP likely left their wallet/purse in the car, which I'll agree is a dumb move. I don't leave anything unattended (purse, money, phone, keys) in my car no matter where I'm at or how quick I think I'll be. And leaving it in the glovebox is just as dumb. If your car is stolen, you're still losing it.

No, I didn't leave the car running. I do leave an extra set I keep hidden in the car so in the two minutes I was gone, I guess they got lucky. To clear up some confusion, I'm a college student and have to live paycheck to paycheck. I don't get paid nearly enough at my job, and as soon as I get paid, that money goes to rent, leaving just enough for food. For laundry, I save up the change I get from work until I have enough to do a load.

I'm sorry OP, that sucks. Hopefully they can catch the guy or your insurance will cover it. Keep your head up!

I think this is the most sympathy I have ever felt after reading an FML. Did you talk to the gas station manager about cameras?

tounces7 27

Hate to say it but you must leave your keys somewhere extremely common for them to have found em that fast. And most gas stations have glass fronts...you didn't notice some dude walking up to your car and getting in it?

I'm sorry but why would you leave your spare set of keys in the car? If you lose your regular keys how are you suppose to get to the spare keys if they're locked in the car with having to break a window or call for help? Also if you didn't lock your car then there you go, that's why it was stolen. The person who stole your car has probably done this before and knew where to look because sadly many people hide stuff under the seat of their car and experienced criminals know this. That's how my dad got a gun stolen from his car. I feel horrible for you, I really do but now you know not to leave any keys in the car and hopefully you did this but idk, ALWAYS lock your car even if it's just for a few minutes.

Is this even the actual OP? It doesn't show him as 'author' neither did he say he is, I actually thought it's some random dude coming up with a story the OP MIGHT say until I read the comments lol I'm real confused on his identity

Yes, I am the OP. I didn't have an account when I made it. The car was parked on the side of the gas station, which is also where I work. Also, my Ford has the code on the driver's side door that I can use to unlock the car.

Set up an account on gofundme and I and all the nice people here will help you out

@33 who stares at their car the whole time while at the gas station??

Your insurance should pay for the car and everything that was in it

mariri9206 32

54, that's if they can afford insurance. based on what OP said about not making a lot, living paycheck to paycheck, and most of it going to rent then food, it's entirely possible OP can't afford to make regular insurance payments.

Why would you leave a set of keys in your Ford if you have keypad entry? Spend half an hour figuring out how to hot wire your car just in case you ever loose your keys. I did it for my car, now if I ever loose the keys, I get in, hot wire it, and if I'm ever pulled over or if the cops show up, I have registration and ID to show that I own it. I could understand if it's a newer car and hard to hot wire, but come on man. There's no reason to leave spare keys in your car. And if anything, find a good place to hide them. I feel bad for you, and I hope you find everything

yeah I work in a gas station, and most customers aren't staring out the window at all times while making a purchase...smh

andrmac 25

Why would you leave that kind of money in your car. It's cheaper for me to go elsewhere to get my money orders for rent than my bank, but I would never leave the cash in the car or the money orders if they were not filled out with the "pay to the order of" filled in. But still FYL

elizacandle 29

what year is it? who pays cash for rent? I mean not trying to say it doesn't sick but why not checks? back transfer?

Redgy22 26

Lots of landlords want it in cash. No money trail to have to show on taxes. Plus, if they've been burned by bad checks before, everyone has to pay cash. Very common.

Me and my girlfriend are renting, neither of us claim rent on tax, so plus paying cash has no disadvantage to us, (we rent a Granny flat so see then daily) doing this means more cash for our landlord, which would be taxed at 49% here in australia (their income is over the threshold so earning more income would have huge tax, Australia is ****** like that) that is why cash is better for some (or most), Elizabeth.

Lots of landlords want it in cash? I've never heard of a landlord who refused to accept forms of payment other than cash. Actually most I've encountered explicitly state they don't want cash. If your landlord requests cash and doesn't at least write you out a receipt I'd find that incredibly shady.

You're somewhat of an idiot to leave valuables in the car. By doing that you're just asking for it.

You left the keys in it with it running, didnt you? "I'll just be two minutes, what's the worst that can happen? Turning the key is far too much work."

I guess looking for a follow up is too much work too.