By ZG_Rules - 20/03/2015 14:38 - Netherlands - Wageningen

Today, I disproved a scientific theory created by my supervisor. He was furious and said that I shouldn't have tried to disprove him. He told me to continue working with his theory and now he threatens to fire me if I publish my work. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 662
You deserved it 2 968

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who cares? Publish it. Scientific advancement is more important than a job, and if you can disprove theories made by older and more experienced scientists, I'm sure you could find work elsewhere. Props for doing that, by the way.

Publish it, discredit him, and take his job. I understand that respect is important, but you will make a name for yourself if you do, and regret it if you don't. #1 beat me to it haha but plus why would you want to continue working for such an Asshole?

Comments

katachristic 19

It's really important that you do publish it. If anyone finds out that you're withholding discoveries from the field, you will lose credibility and no one will hire you because dishonesty is completely not tolerated in academia.

This is extremely common in the scientific world! He or your facility are going to lose money, so you make conclusions to support the claims your investors want to make to further their agenda. I've been battling some aspects of man-made climate change for years but again threatened with termination and we all know you'll be black balled if you go against "the scientific community"

Publish it, he will fire you, and then you will get famous for creating the correct theory, and he will get a bad reputation for creating a wrong theory.

And all the more reason to not trust the ones that scream the science is "settled"