By adirom - 21/10/2014 02:25 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I came out as bisexual to my friends via group message. They didn't respond; I had a panic attack. An hour later, one of my friends texted back, "k". FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 636
You deserved it 9 552

adirom tells us more.

Thanks for all your support (or lack there of in some cases) for those of you wondering why I told them over text, my friends and I are very close and have a group message with just the 4 of us, the topic came up and I took the opportunity. I have social anxiety, and decided for the sake of my sanity that would work best. And after my one friend replied "k" there were multiple texts saying they supported me and didn't think of me any differently (which was my worry). So it all turned out for the best! To all of y'all who think being bisexual isn't a big deal, coming out regardless is a big deal. So please try and open your mind to how difficult it is to stray from social norms!

Top comments

Their silence probably means they're "k" with it. Just as long as you're happy with whom you are.

Gay is the new norm. It's not even cool to come out as gay anymore. The real edgy people are coming out as ebola victims.

Comments

They probably already had a feeling about your sexuality. Don't let it get to you. People can be really hurtful when you need them the most. Continue being who you truly are.

Sounds like your friends don't give a shit about your sexuality. And that's the way it should be. At the end of the day you're still friends

And if they do think worse of you for it OP, they're not really friends. It takes a lot of courage to come out, in person or not, and they most likely won't change their perceptions of you.

I guess they don't care that your bi. I'm pretty sure they're not going to see you any differently for you being gay, bi or whatever. That or they think you are just joking with them. Like how can you take someone seriously via message.

Being bisexual isn't a big deal. How would you feel if one of your friends sent you a message letting you know that they're heterosexual? You'd just be like, "Okay..."

Given that heterosexual is considered the default, it's not the same thing. Most people are presumed heterosexual unless they vocally identify otherwise which is what OP was doing. It can be really important to ones self to identify their "different" sexuality, particularly bisexual which is in a grey area and may not be immediately recognised in traditional ways (i.e. Who someone's dating)

SilverInGray 25

Well I mean, bisexual people actually have some of the highest rates of sexual assault, discrimination, suicide, etc. so it's still a pretty big deal. They can be discriminated against and rejected by both gay and straight people and treated pretty horribly in queer spaces even though they too are queer. So yeah. It's still a big deal to a lot of people.

Sorry, OP, but why would you do something like this in a group message? Something this personal should really be discussed face-to-face so these things don't happen. Still, though, sounds like it's not a big deal to your friends, so congrats! :)

SilverInGray 25

Maybe they didn't feel safe to.

With today's generation, everything is to be expected and almost everything is easily accepted.

At least you had the balls to come out lol

That took a lot of courage OP...but if things change with your friends I'm sorry

lol a panic attack over not responding for an hour? get your shit together