By Anonymous - 29/03/2013 01:13 - United States - Sunnyvale

Today, I came home from work to my 4-year old daughter cussing left and right. I asked her about it; she said that her brother had taught her some words. When I confronted him about the situation, he kicked my shin and screamed, "Stop treating me like a fucking child!" He's 5. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 193
You deserved it 18 840

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You cant blame it completely on the child. You being his parent are responsible for his development.

Comments

Haha if I ever said this u will see me in the obituary section the next day

Well, that's disturbing.. Before you ground him until he's 30, try to talk to him and make him understand that those things are not ok to say. Explaining why it's wrong usually works better than yelling and punishing until it stops.

Why do I see that ending in the child saying "its none of your ******* business"

#15 That could happen :P But he is just a little kid. He probably just heard those words on TV or something and he's just repeating what he heard without really meaning it.

There's a time for talk and a time for action. It's not about telling him it's wrong, it's about making him understand it's wrong. The word isn't the problem, it's the lack of respect. This behavior is won't stop as long as the kids don't respect the parent. Therefore, OP deserves it.

I'd like to know why cursing is considered the issue here... IMO, the bigger problem here is the kicking in the shin part....

error404n0tf0und 21

just treat him like a adult then. let him be independent, he will soon realise how important you are to him

The kid is 5, not 15, at which age similar idea could work SOMETIMES.

error404n0tf0und 21

trust me my parents did it yo my brother ay the age of 5 and I worked brilliant

KilaKika 24

You should check into who you have caring for them while you are at work and what they are allowing to watch. I wouldn't be so quick to blame OP when it could be the daycare or the spouse for that matter.

Pstraka6 20

Looks like he might need some tough love

You raised your kids fine... perfectly fine... :l

children love to copy other people so it's either you, their father or someone that you leave with that speak that way, it sounds like to me you need to spend more time with Your children to teach them that behavior like that is unacceptable.

strawberrywine22 30

Judgmental much? I learned to swear from my big brothera, who were with me twelve to fourteen hours a day, six days a week. Should my mother have spent more time with me? Well it would have been great, but then we'd have been homeless because she wouldn't be working the three jobs it took to support the five of us after we lost our father. Walk a mile in her shoes before telling her how to raise her child.

The greatest parent in the world can't control how others are parented. Kids are like night and day when they're around adults and amongst themselves. This type of behavior might not have been exposed when Op checked out the daycare or babysitters (if thats where the child learned it).

I really hate it when others think teaching kids swear words is funny, it is really horrible. I assume it is not you op, but find who did it and make sure they get an earful.

It's actually really embarrassing to see the kid you are responsible for using that type of language. when I heard my little sister telling some kid to **** off I gave her a lecture that made her cry and apologize, she hasn't cussed since. maybe that's what op needs to do.