By annoyed - 29/07/2010 08:02 - United States

Today, I came home from vacation to discover that one of my friends had broken into my house, painted my room a hideous color, ruined my hardwood floors with the paint, and left huge mess for me to clean. When I confronted her about it, she called me ungrateful. Everyone I know agrees with her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 654
You deserved it 4 165

BoondockSaint9 tells us more.

Hey, this is the OP...just made an account to clarify this. She painted my room black, then tried to paint turquoise stripes over it. The hardwood floor might be fixable, yeah, but getting the black paint out of my white carpet...? Not so much. Not to mention she broke my patio door to get in...and she tried to poor the extra paint down the drain in my bathroom sink, so that's all clogged up. Needless to say, she's not my friend anymore...if I can get her to pay for the damages and a painter to fix my room, I won't press charges.

Top comments

ArtIsResistance7 1

Hideous cover, or color? If it's on the inside, it's no big deal. However, for revenge, do something to the outside of her house for the whole world to see!

I'd say go ahead and file a report while you can. I suspect you're going to have a tough time getting any money out of her. A police report will help you in the civil suit. And yeah, get friends who aren't morons.

Comments

The_good_times 0

See, a lot of people might feel for the OP, except for a small detail, if everyone agrees with her that he's being ungrateful it probably means that she actually did a nice job, the color is probably something nice, the mess probably wasn't THAT big (you can't NOT have a little mess after painting) and the floor I'm sure it isn't ruined, maybe a stain or two which are very hard to avoid when painting, but you can probably clean them up.

EvilDave 13

Why would one be grateful that someone BROKE INTO ONE'S HOME (which is a felony), painted a room a color one does not like without permission (which could be either a felony or a misdemeanor), and ruined one's hardwood floors (which could be either a felony or a misdemeanor), and left the mess for him to clean up? It doesn't matter if anyone else likes the color, the OP doesn't like it and doesn't want it. She didn't ask, didn't take into account her taste, violated her privacy, ruined his things, and made work for her for when she returned from vacation.

A few things here. 1. I just painted my living room and dining room. Not by a professional, just me, and there are no paint stains on my floor or any of my trim for that matter. If you do it right, there is no paint where it's shouldn't be. 2. If you come in to do a job, especially a surprise one, you should probably clean up after yourself and not leave it for someone else to do. After all, you made the mess, and like your mother hopefully taught you, you clean up your own mess. 3. Regardless of whether or not the job was done well or if the colour is nice to other people, it is commonly considered rude, if not illegal to break into someones house (B&E) and paint (vandalism). 4. Just because someone else likes the colour, doesn't make it OK. They don't live there. You should get to choose what colours your walls are painted, unless you agree to let someone else pick and paint.

Elenachka 0

yeah, it sounds to me like the op is exaggerating and leaving details out. I highly doubt this friend just decided on a whim to do all this, the op probably bitched about or actually needed her walls painted, and I'd guess her friend was just trying to do something nice and surprise her. the op probably just doesnt like the color and is being and brat and exaggerating. not the best idea, but it's not like the friends intentions were bad. and if all her friends agree, I'd have to assume this is the most likely scenario. just tell her you appreciate what she was trying to do but explain what upsets you about it all, and ask if shell help you fix it. make a painting party out of it or something, don't let a misunderstanding ruin your friendship.

Tomaino 3

You'd be surprised what people would do. My family is big on the idea that whatever they think is best, is definitely best. Example: my grandparents came into my house one day while I was out of town (I had no clue they had a key and from what I understand, they lied to my dad saying I had given them permission to get one) and threw away all the things they thought were trash, including mementos, homework, and clothing. They hammered nails into my walls to hang up pictures that I didn't want there, and, while they didn't actually leave a mess, per se, it was a huge nuisance. My dad is similar. I was in the hospital for a month once, and when I came back my whole bedroom had been rearranged. I was pissed, but, it was his house, so technically I couldn't bitch too much, but it was very infuriating.

that's beside the point, this dumb ass broke into someone's house and decided it should be this color without consent

lol that was wrong fml comment but way to make it work for this haha

MrLunner 0

Yes #15 Your just a boss. It's not like you have the same promblems that he was having.

yourkiddingright_fml 0

You need new people whom you can call friends. The bunch you hang with are ******* stupid idiots!!!

You need to sue for the cost of fixing it and then FIND NEW FRIENDS. those people are clearly trash.

jlsblue 1
sweetdreams999 0

you need new friends but good luck with that because it just proves people are ******* morons since everyone agreed with her.

Carolina_girl222 0

i think its time to get revenge and get new friends

do the same to her. when she confronts you, call her ungrateful. Simple.

The hideous paint color isn't the issue for me. Perhaps the OP had been complaining about the wall color and the friend really did think that this was a color the OP wanted. However, the hardwood floors are what kill me! You shouldn't take on major household projects you don't know how to do--which your friend obviously didn't. If she won't pay for the repairs to your floor, it sounds like lawsuit time to me.