By Jayman223 - 10/02/2017 09:00 - United States - Reno

Today I adopted a dog. He ran away the same day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 738
You deserved it 1 154

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FYL for losing the dog. YDI if you let it outside and expected it to be obedient and listen to you on day one

This exact thing happened to me. Luckily I got him back a day later. He just managed to find a way to wiggle out of my fenced yard in the time it took me to grab a ball to throw him. It's been a year and a half now and he wouldn't do that again now that he knows where home is. (I also added rabbit fencing to better secure my fence line.) You aren't a bad owner. Things like this happen sometimes. 1/3 dogs get lost at some point in their lives.

Comments

Today I decided to be an idiot and let an animal that just entered my home run around with no supervision in the vicinity of open doors. That about sum it up?

Isa_fml 20

I hope you find him. If you haven't already, make sure to get him a collar & tags with your contact info.

SKYstlimit 11

new dog you always have to be super careful, they crawl under fences and jump over gates you thought were too tall, never happened to me but it must be awful, best go look up as much as you can about securing your yard etc. for future reference

One of the cats we adopted ran away a few days after we brought her home because the kids left the door open even though we kept telling them not to, and she came back after 3 weeks. So...don't lose hope?

YDI for not ensuring your house/yard was secure. The dog doesn't deserve it though. It's in a strange new environment, with people it doesn't know, probably scared and ready to escape when an opportunity presents itself. Be better prepared if you intend on adopting another animal in the future.

This happened to me a month ago. I adopted a 10 year old dog and he managed to pull me down and escape an hour into owning him. If you haven't found your dog yet, post on Craigslist, lost/found FB pages, Pawboost, call local shelters so they know if they pick your dog up. If he's microchipped call the company and they can help. Good luck!

If you did adopt from a shelter, it also might be worth contacting them and getting the past owner's information. My dog was gone for over a week and he managed to travel through 3/4 cities heading for the people who'd abandoned him after 7 years.

CrazyJolteon 0

If you lose a dog on the first day your a bad pet owner.....why would you let it out before you even got it to like you?!

My turtle died so honestly at least your dog wasn't dead. Maybe he'll turn back up. I think my turtle dying when my mom yelled at me to buy when I had no money for a light when she did was worse then your dog running away. Lol FML.

My first day with my dog he was on a leash with a collar and he slipped out of his collar. He didn't know me so he didn't like me. I had to hide so that he would come to the lady from the shelter (he was delivered to my house from out of state). For the first week, we used a harness and the collar to keep him from escaping. Now he LOVES my roommate and I. It takes dogs about two weeks to adjust to a new environment and person.