By georgiamarshall_ - 09/01/2013 10:42 - Australia - Sydney

Today, at work, a little girl came in and asked if we had any dance clothes. As I showed her, I asked if she was in a competition. When she said yes, I crossed my fingers and told her I hoped she would win. Unfortunately, I didn't cross them properly and I accidentally gave her the finger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 399
You deserved it 34 157

georgiamarshall_ tells us more.

Hi all! Original poster here. I understand most of you don't think it's possible to accidentally stick your finger up instead of crossing them, but it's kind of an in group joke with all of my work friends that we flip the bird to each other. I guess habit took over! I am so ashamed, but at least she didn't realise what it meant and her mother wasn't around!

Top comments

Well, let's hope she's too young to know what it means.

I'm still trying to figure out how crossing your fingers looks anything like flicking someone off. Sure you weren't subconsciously resentful? Working in retail can do that to people.

Comments

Hi all! Original poster here. I understand most of you don't think it's possible to accidentally stick your finger up instead of crossing them, but it's kind of an in group joke with all of my work friends that we flip the bird to each other. I guess habit took over! I am so ashamed, but at least she didn't realise what it meant and her mother wasn't around!

Lucky you! Usually if that happens people are quick to jump and shout at you.

I'm so used to pulling the finger to people who talk to me when I'm drinking alcohol and one time my friends mum said something to me while I was skulling this drink and I pulled the finger to her ??

Rather than wrapping your index finger around your middle finger you should wrap you middle finger around your index finger. You are a lot less likely to look like you're flipping someone off.

Whaaat? Some people cross their fingers by wrapping their index around their middle? I just tried it and my index finger doesn't bend that way...

Why is this showing up on the feed now? It's 3 years old.

Because we just marked the comment as a follow-up.

@102 Ah, ok. I thought it did that automatically.

Vidimus 13

It's a special kind of a good luck charm.

mcBe 6

Yea cause crossing fingers is difficult, reminds me of when I tried to give a friend a compliment. I accidentally told them to **** off. Didn't realize the author already clarified lol

It's ok OP, some of us just have chubby fingers that can't make the jump over.

Satoaoi 13

wow what a douche lol I bet she told her mom and her mom. slapped the hell out of U. I know I would have

when I was a little girl, I didn't even know what that meant..so most likely you'd get away with it. But really you could've said '"Oops, sorry, wrong finger hehe."

Why the hell would you cross your fingers??

Moonshadows 1

I want to know why you were crossing them in the first place. Do you have some sort of problem with her that you didn't want her to win? I don't understand why you would do that.

I tried to cross my fingers to wish her good luck actually..

"Fingers crossed" is actually another way to say "good luck".