By bblubblerfisch - 12/02/2013 18:04 - Austria - Vienna

Today, after spending six months completely repainting and redecorating our new home, I finally finished the last touches and went to remove the masking tape. Off came the tape, along with huge blotches of plasterwork. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 548
You deserved it 7 521

bblubblerfisch tells us more.

Hey all. OP here. First of all I'm glad this was posted, because when the first blotch came off, I was thinking 'Oh NO! This is so FML!' and yeah - here it is :) And then - to clear up a few things: 1. This is not my first language and 'masking tape' was just what google translater told me 'Malerkrepp' means in English. Anyways: it was the right kind of tape, we used it on the whole house and it worked everywhere else except this particular wall because 2. there was a strange kind of 'wax' paint under a whole lot of other layers that apparently was not fit to be re-painted. Ours is a very old house and we didn't know the former owners used this. But I'm a lucky one. My fiancé filled the gaps in with painter's filling yesterday and after repainting all of it tonight I hope we will truly be done. Finally. And 3. I certainly didn't leave the tape on for half a year! This is just the amount of time we have been working on the whole project. #70 : I loved your comment! Thank you, this really helped and it's exactly what we are doing. Have a nice day everyone! :)

Top comments

Comments

Do't tell me you left the tape on for 6 months....

That's what happens when you take 6 months to remove the tape.

If you're using tape at all, like to fix some tarp covers into position, then it should be removed soon. Sooner than six months. Best within hours. But a decent painter doesn't use tape at all. Free-hand that isht!

I agree with people shouldn't have been up for 6 months probably. but the main problem is you probably should've used painter's tape and not masking tape.

Oh man, that stinks. My dad almost made the same mistake but the clerk at the store stopped him and had him get blue painters tape.

ydi, its called painters tape doesnt rip the shit outta your new walls

Yeah, that's why "Painter's Tape" exists. The glue is specially made to provide a flawless seal against paint but it comes off perfectly.

Nah it's just less sticky masking tape, so it's LESS LIKELY to pull paint off. You still can't leave it too long cos once the glue on the back dries; game over

Painters Tape is also called 7-Day Tape. It can be left in place for up to 7 days indoors and will peel off cleanly. If you used regular masking tape and left it up for six months, you didn't do your research. Yeah it sucks, but it really is your own damn fault.

You are suppose to primer it before painting it or at least put a coat of paint on the plastered areas prior to taping lols