By AngerManagement - 29/09/2011 08:04 - United Kingdom

Today, after being in the UK for 2 months, I learned that when saying, "I'm about to blow off and kill someone", to the British "blow off" means "fart." This was pointed out to me in an open-space office after a particularly loud rant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 520
You deserved it 24 423

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FreakAZoidd 3

What does "blow off" mean in America? Sorry I've never heard that saying.

Comments

I remember my visit to England...I kept on saying pants which means underwear in UK but means trousers in the USA. I feel your pain, OP.

I was just speaking on personal experience. For example, I met one of my sisters friends while in England and made a joke about his pants being 'holy' to break the ice. He freaked and thought his underwear was showing.

Blow off does not mean fart in the UK. It really doesnt have any specific meaning. Think they were just trying to take the piss outta you OP! :/

austinriley_9 0

Who the hell says "blow off" ?

samiboy9 0

Some of my young English co-patriots should learn more about their own country. "Blow off" is indeed a British slang term for 'fart'. It probably isn't used much anymore but, ask anyone from your parents generation and they'll probably know it. It was a very common back in the 70's and 80's, usually because the word 'fart' was considered too crude. It shouldn't be confused with "to blow" (felatio) or 'blow up' (erupt with rage).

Goodness you remind me of mr. Culling from Pride and Prejudice :)

Wonder what would have happened if you said '********'...

I'm from England and I remember kids in the playground would chant "show off, show off, pick your nose and blow off" to kids showing off. It meant fart back then....

SorrowFull 8

It isn't "blow off" it is actually "blow up". When you "blow off", it means that you ignore something. When you are angry you "blow up".

Pretty sure the phrase would be blow "up" anyway, not "off." "Blow up" as in something exploding... Get it? Ydi.