By NotThePotty - 19/10/2015 10:15 - United States - San Francisco

Today, according to daycare, my son is behind in his potty training curriculum because we are not "celebrating his natural bodily functions" enough. He turned 2 a week ago, and he peed on our bed last night because we're trying to meet this demand. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 505
You deserved it 3 002

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell him to celebrate his bodily functions all over his teacher

According to pediatrician Emmi Pikler 95% of all children manage to successfully use the toilet during the day by the time they turn three without forcing it onto them. The daycare needs to chill.

Comments

Tell him to celebrate his bodily functions all over his teacher

Right!! How dare they be so unrealistic with someone so young. I know most daycares wont put kids into the 3 year old room until they are potty trained, but 2 is too young. Dont let the day care place push you around!! If you force it on the kid before they are ready you will end up with more problems like excessive accidents, bladder infections, and obstructions! Talk to your kids dr and do the research, 2 is very young if they are not the ones leading this big change.

Don't worry OP about what they say, he's your son so just do what you feel is right for him.

According to pediatrician Emmi Pikler 95% of all children manage to successfully use the toilet during the day by the time they turn three without forcing it onto them. The daycare needs to chill.

It's never an easy task. Do what is best for you and your child, if you try to rush them it will be upsetting and more accidents will occur

The trick is to throw surprise bodily function celebrations; if you do it right, you can scare the piss out of him and start a loop.

I'd never heard of "celebrating natural bodily functions" so I've been picturing them having little birthday-like parties when went potty. Your comment cracked me up when you added in the "surprise" part to the party lol.

I'm sorry but "celebrate". Celebration wouldn't achieve the proper response, that creates a bodily function reaction to moments of extreme emotion. Instead of just encouraging the use of a toilet by sitting your son on it and not letting him off until he goes. If we were to just celebrate every time he happens to pass a function, he'd respond by doing it in other places to elicit a similar response. Such as the bed

That's not the ******* point of the fml

They mean celebrate when it happens on a potty. Even if they don't do it all tbe time, which they won't at first, if they do practice sitting on a potty and happen to go when they're on it then it's something to encourage.

I don't think the daycare is using "celebrate" to mean cheering the kid on or giving lavish rewards (though positive reinforcement does help, as 44 pointed out). I think they're using "celebrate" as a way to normalize bodily functions for children (along the lines of "everybody poops"), just teaching kids it's natural and holds no shame. One way to do this would be for the parents to talk openly about peeing and/or pee with the door open for the child to see how it's done. Education, especially preschool and elementary ed, loves to use fun, upbeat, positive buzz words as euphemisms for unpleasant things—it's one way to destigmatize bodily functions (for example, children don't **********, they "explore" their bodies). However, if OP's child just turned two, the teachers need to lay off on the potty pressure. All children progress at different levels and trying to rush the process isn't helpful. By the way, I'd like to add that I'm not weird—I'm a teacher, and though I currently teach high school, I spent several years as a certified early childhood teacher. I've also kept up that credential, so every few years I have to take child development and methodology courses :)

It's like when you train a dog you praise it for doing something right so it associates whatever it's act is and wants to keep doing it. Or you can straight up bribe the kid with candy or something.

My sister is 7 and she still wears a diaper at night. :/

Yeah bedwetting sucks. Hopefully she outgrows it soon. I did that into my teens and it sucked balls.

My brother has Autism so that might have something to do with it - he's 17 and still has to wear adult diapers to bed. He has tried everything even one of those little sensors that's supposed to wake you up before it happens, didn't work. I wish it wasn't something that was so taboo (well it's a super taboo topic here) so they could actually do research or something and find a way to help people with these problems.

Some daycares and preschools seem to forget that these are toddlers and children they're talking about.