By Badatlife - 23/06/2014 16:19 - Australia - Kellyville

Today, a guy at work pulled me aside to tell me that I probably shouldn't be working a job where I have to interact with customers, because of my autism. I don't have autism. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 886
You deserved it 4 635

Same thing different taste

Top comments

stuner56 22

People need to think before they speak...

That is NOT something you just assume about people. I'm sorry. :(

Comments

I had a coworker who used to throw crap like that around. He was just a jerk OP, and socially, he had more problems than any of the rest of us. He just put everyone else down to hide his own deficits. That's probably what's going on here

jrn 14

There's nothing wrong with having autism

I'm Autistic and work with the public all the time. My customers reckon I'm one of the nicest, most polite staff members where I work. Sounds like this guy may have seen some Autistic people who hate interaction or were one step away from a meltdown or something, and then decided to tar us all with the same brush. What a fool.

You should have just said "I don't have autism" and then watched him squirm.

What a dick. Don't listen to that asshole.

You clearly got hired on with no problems. If your boss was the least bit worried, they would have said something. You, unfortunately, work with pricks who do not know their place.

sarahtolkien 8

also, that's illegal. Had he heard of the American Disabilities Act?

OP is in Australia. Not sure if they have something similar to the ADA.

And who the hell told that son of a bitch that people with autism shouldn't interact with customers?! Apart from assuming someone has something they don't, flash news people with autism can get on even better with people simply because we don't know how to hate and all the bullying we've been through. Case in point assuming we're not good with people. Not only do I have my own advertising company and teach my own people how to sell and take care of our customers which definitely involves interaction with people and customers but I know plenty of people including my two best friends who are two of the best teachers around and I can definitely say as one of them actually taught me!

Part of "working well with people", is being able to read facial expressions and understand tone of voice, things autistic people tend to not be able to to do. So no, "not knowing how to hate" (which MANY autistic people are fully able to), does nothing. In my group of friends at school there were two autistic people, and they very much failed with tone of voice, they'd take EVERYTHING literally.

There are some real asses in this world

How rude people like that who annoy me