By Anonymous - 08/06/2016 19:26 - Belgium - Overijse

Today, a friend pointed out to me that my girlfriend of 5 years looks a bit like my mom. She does, and I can't get it out of my head. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 880
You deserved it 1 213

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You know what, Oedipus was a happy man. Well, until the part where he blinded himself. But seriously, it's pretty common to marry someone like your opposite-sex parent. Unless it truly makes you uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry.

MetalxSoldier 26

There is a lot of people who date someone that has similar traits or characteristics of their parents subconsciously. As long as you love each other, that's all that matters.

Comments

My friend Chris used to date a girl who looked a lot like his mom Lois. The mom really liked the girl because subconsciously she looked like herself, only younger. Things did not end well for my friend to say the least.

Say "hi" to the biological impulse that tells you, "This person resembles my parent. My parent produced me. This means my parent has good genetics. This person looking like my parents means they, too, have good genetics. Begin courtship." Try to do something out of the ordinary with your GF and see if it overrides the issue.

bad_boyfriend 10

THis happened to me once. She didn't look like my mom, she looked like my sister. A lot like my sister once it was pointed out. We had only been seeing each other a few months, but that was the end of it. I could not deal

My girlfriend looks like my sister i feel your pain

hardly your gfs fault man .. get over it .. happens sometimes

If it's any consolation, your subconscious already knew that.

So don't. Denying it will give you a complex. There isn't anything wrong with finding people who look like your parents attractive. It's very normal. If you love your mother, you would associate people who look like her with positive feelings. It's not you trying to date your mother.