The struggle is real

By WiredUp - 21/08/2020 13:05 - Australia - Brisbane

Today, my step-kids proudly announced that their mum lets them drink coffee at her house. They both have ADD and I've been struggling for months to get them to eat right. Hello futility. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 396
You deserved it 176

Same thing different taste

Top comments

In people with ADHD (like me), stimulants can have the opposite effect. Probably not the reason why they’re allowed it, but useful info. Caffeine makes me sleepy.

for those who don't know why it's because adhd stems from an underactive brain. medications like aderal are actually stimulants

Comments

**** coffee! Let them drink beer at your house, and you'll become the popular parent!

In people with ADHD (like me), stimulants can have the opposite effect. Probably not the reason why they’re allowed it, but useful info. Caffeine makes me sleepy.

for those who don't know why it's because adhd stems from an underactive brain. medications like aderal are actually stimulants

bloopaloop 27

I hope my brain is interactive

The way my son's psychiatrist explained it to me is that the brain of the ADHD-er is understimulated with the same stimuli that is fine for normal brains. This means their brains are constantly looking for stimulus, which is why they are hyper and unfocused. Stimulants like caffiene (and some ADHD meds) which can over-stimulate normal brains, bring the ADHD-er's brain up to normal, as a result they can calm down and can focus. This also why downers (like benadryl) that make normal people sleepy, actually make ADHD-er's MORE active, because it further lowers their levels of stimuli and causes the brain to be even less stimulated than before.

xxlk4xx 6

I feel like there could be something worse then coffee lol, I would rather someone give my adhd kid coffee then pop! my adhd daughter hasn't had any coffee yet but I've heard it can be helpful! but that depends, how much sugar do you have to put in it in order for them to like it lol! but I wonder how your kids react to it? I guess just see what their behavior is like after they've had it. but as other commenters mentioned, shes probably just giving it to them for fun lol. and you also seem like a really caring step mom 😊

Vesi 29

We gave my ADHD sister diet coke. No sugar and the caffeine helped calm her enough she could sit still in school. Try that.

xxlk4xx 6

that's neat! I didnt realize that a diet coke could be helpful as well! sorry if I came off as rude at all commenting in the pop! but it makes sense that it would help if it has caffeine in it as well! and thank you for sharing :)

My now 15 year old has been drinking coffee fairly regularly since he was about 8. He can have a cup with VERY little sugar before school, and I sometimes buy him caffiene gum as well. He's on a non-stimulant med called Atamoxetine (generic for Straterra), and that combined with caffiene has really REALLY helped him. Also, I highly recommend a therapy called Neuro Feedback. It gave us amazing results.

Caffeine can have different results on some cases of people with ADD/ADHD. Just for example, my brother used caffeine to calm himself and help control it, even as young as 8-9 years old. It was successful for him, as well as at least some others who tried this method that we also knew. Apparently it has to do with how the brain processed it differently; the science is sound, I just don't know it well enough to quote. Dunno if this is why they're allowed it... but it might not be a F ANYONE'S Life here.

The way my son's psychiatrist explained it to me is that the brain of the ADHD-er is understimulated with the same stimuli that is fine for normal brains. This means their brains are constantly looking for stimulus, which is why they are hyper and unfocused. Stimulants like caffiene (and some ADHD meds) which can over-stimulate normal brains, bring the ADHD-er's brain up to normal, as a result they can calm down and can focus. This also why downers (like benadryl) that make normal people sleepy, actually make ADHD-er's MORE active, because it further lowers their levels of stimuli and causes the brain to be even less stimulated than before.

Caffiene actually HELPS with ADD and ADHD. Their brains are understimulated so they are unfocused and hyper. Caffeine brings their brains up to normal, which then helps them be less active and focus. My 15 year old drinks coffee before school a few tines a week and has caffeine gum. If he's having trouble settling down at night he gets some unsweetened, but caffinated tea. Sugar gets limited, but caffeine is usually good for these kids. I'm honestly not sure why you think this is an FML for you. My kids' bio dad and step mom don't let them have caffeine, but let's them have all the soda (caffien-free) that they want, then complain to me about the ADHD kid being crazy and hyper.

p.s.- the healthy eating... i feel ya on that one o.p.

I mean I kind of get it but she's their mom and you're the stepmom. You're kind of talking like it's the other way around. I know blended families can be complex but she's gonna get more say.

Caffeine has an opposite effect on people with add and adhd.

Bring that up with your lawyer/etc and see what can be done about it.

A lawyer is going to laugh at her. No laws are being broken and the children aren't being put in any danger. Furthermore, as stated by myself and several other people, caffiene actually helps most people with ADD and ADHD.