The road to Hell in Hell

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I have an Urinary Tract Infection, causing me to have to use the bathroom about every ten minutes. I'm also about to leave on a 15 hour car trip with my entire family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 191
You deserved it 2 772

Top comments

greenfairy82 0

DRINK CRANBERRY JUICE. I had the same thing and my mom suggested it. Home remedy. just drink about a liter of it and it'll go away. There is something in the juice that clears everything up!! I hope that helps...

oh man, that blows! fyl :( i hope you survive the trip!

Comments

greenfairy82 0

DRINK CRANBERRY JUICE. I had the same thing and my mom suggested it. Home remedy. just drink about a liter of it and it'll go away. There is something in the juice that clears everything up!! I hope that helps...

Cranberry juice will actually help you feel better. It will help clear your kidneys out. Also drinking a lot of water will will help with making your bladder feel better. Keeping a little bit of liquid in when you pee will lessen the feel of needing to go all the time. One of the worst things you can do is have a completely empty bladder. So keep the liquids coming and avoid drinks like soda.

SnowVixen 0

And you can end up with a kidney infection if you don't take care of it right away.

I didn't go to the doctor when I had UTI, purely out of embarassment. It went away after about a month, I seem fine now. But I hate to see what my kidney looks like. heh.

I get UTIs on occassion and as soon as I get that tingling sensation when peeing I start drinking cranberry juice. I haven't taken antibiotics for them in about 20 years. The way my doctor put it is that the acid in the cranberry juice helps to neutralize the infection...I don't pretend to understand it. It's worked for me and for others, so really the only time antibiotics are necessary is when the UTI has gotten out of control. If the UTI is caught early enough cranberry juice should work fine to flush it out. Just keep drinking it for a couple of days after the godsawful feeling has gone away to ensure that the infection is gone. If people keep turning to pills to deal with everything in their life then one day those pills won't work...then were will they be?

nonynony 0

Actually, many UTIs do clear up without antibiotics. If they're mild, they'll commonly clear out on their own with lots of water (and cranberry juice seems to be helpful, but the scientific evidence for that is minimal). The risk, as others have said, is that if they DON'T clear up on their own, you can get a very serious kidney infection. I did when I was younger and didn't go to the doctor because I thought it was just the flu. By the time I made it to the hospital, I was nearly dead and had to stay there for weeks.

Yes, they would. Any good doctor would treat the infection, and simultaneously try to find the underlying cause of repeated infection. For instance, my doctor prescribed me antibiotics and referred me to a specialist.

SailorSolaris 43

Cranberry Juice and Activia Yogurt. Cured Trechomaniasis for me.

blazingman311 1

Bet you're really pissed off about that.

irishfever 0

it's a urinary tract infection, not an urinary tract infection

ghadir 2

yeah i noticed that too...and was shocked when i realized not all vowels require an "an" in front of them. weird o_O

nonynony 0

"U" doesn't always have "an" in front of it because it's pronounced as if it starts with a "y." Like your-inary tract.

ClaireXX 0

Yes, go to your doctor. Antibiotics do help, but they do sometimes take a while to work. You might also have to try a few different ones if the first one doesn't work. Take capsules with concentrated cranberries. It is like drinking several glasses of cranberry juice. It prevents inflammation of the bladder, which causes the feeling of having to urinate. You can take them for the rest of your life if you want to, and you probably won't get a UTI again. I have had UTIs before and this has been what has worked for me. Also, drink a lot of water to help flush the bacteria out.

terriibabiiix23 0

uhh don't go on the trip cause it's gonna be torture if your gonna go to the bathroom every 10 minutes :/

infantry831 0
jg600 0

I think Cystex works better than Azo (or look to see if its ok to take both). I get UTIs every couple of months. That sucks, though! I hope it turns out ok.

perdix 29

You've doomed your family to a 25-hour car trip. At first, they'll make the effort to find you a "clean" bathroom, but then you'll be stuck using the filthiest bathrooms in America. (Don't step on the poop on the floor.) Then, they'll tell you to go in the woods and, finally, they'll just have you stick your ass out the window, because they just can't keep stopping! Bon voyage!

potatopeeler 0

Why is everyone telling her to go to the doctor? She probably already has antibiotics but they won't have an effect soon enough for the trip.

Doctors will almost always give you something for the pain if it's that bad. I'm assuming the OP didn't go to the doctor, otherwise the 15 minute car trip would not be that big of a deal.

15 HOUR. If it was a 15 minute drive, this wouldn't be on FML. OP- if it sucks, don't go. But I think you can survive it.

DirtyJerzey8083 7

Because when you get a UTI the consensus is normally to see a doctor ASAP. If she leaves for the trip at all it'll be ten times worse without the antibiotics. I get UTI's so bad I just spen the day on the toilette with a few gallons of water with me, my phone and iPod, the AZO or Cystex pills, thr antibiotics and maybe a magazine or book. You literally can't leave the vacinity of the toilette because tw second you do you have to go again. So it's best to just stay in the bathroom and avoid the unecc pain