Thanks, I hate this

By duCOQUELICOT - 13/06/2016 19:29 - Netherlands - Amsterdam

Today, after being told two weeks ago that my contract would be renewed, my boss managed to tell me that actually he had other applicants for the job. I will be let go, but he offered me two months extra so I could finish the projects he had me working on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 848
You deserved it 738

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well at least now you have a couple months to work, earn money and have time to look for another job before you're let go.

That really sucks, but as a contract employee, you'll always be shafted. Take the offer and look for a new job right away. It's employment and technically you wouldn't be in a contract working for 2 months, allowing you to leave anytime you'd like.

Comments

Start looking for another job ASAP OP!! Look at the bright side OP at least you have a temporary source of income..

Take what you can and move on at the earliest opportunity , he could have ended the contract and passed on the assignment. This could be a test of your ethics and coping skills

In other words he's being told to let you go and is doing you a solid so you have a definitive end date and two months to look for other jobs. My money's on his boss's nepotism.

I would say do what you can but putting job hunting first, leaving on a bad note is never a good idea

I guess I would have tossed some papers in the air as a joke, but it's nice that he at least is honest about it instead of introducing the new guy and ending the tour with "-And this is OP, whose job is now yours. And that fancy desk too." Hope you find a good place to work as fast as possible and may life prosper for you, OP.

Find another job so that you can leave after one month with a half-finished project that is completely indecipherable to anyone else.

ashyash90 8

welcome to the world of temp/contract jobs! good for a short time but never rely on them! get a permanent position and stop faking with this sort of hassle! best choice ever imo.

katjohn11 6

Oh you should just quit now! That wasn't fair of them to say you job was secured.

The problem is, OP probably needs the money and it is easier to get hired if you come from another job. Plus, having to explain that you left in this manner may portray you as unreliable (even though it would be justified). Lying isn't really an option either as that may or may not fall through.