Thanks for the help

By PineapplePizza - 15/08/2016 07:41 - United States - Irwin

Today, I should be starting my last year of college next week. But no. My old advisor messed up my schedule so badly that there's no way I'll graduate for another year. So I'll be in school five years for a four year program because as a freshman I thought my advisor was helping me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 843
You deserved it 1 390

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Make your dumbass advisor pay for your tuition, because that's not right. Messing up that badly isn't something u should let slide tho

Maybe your old advisor could have used an extra year of college. FYL OP, that sounds so shitty.

Comments

The problem is it took until your last year to figure this out. Also pretty sure advisors only advise, leaving the final decision to the student. Take responsibility.

finalyearsofhate 22

I'm having the same problem. I transferred after community college and had to do 3 years instead of 2. Now my advisor messed up my schedule and I'll graduate a year later because of how the courses are laid out (only 2 classes).

tisvana18 8

At my college they had the actual degree requirements separate from what was required by the state. Like for requirements it would have your degree stuff front and center and then put the core classes nestled away somewhere else under another tab. Mind you, I've been to a couple universities and a community college--the latter being the only one that has their website set up like that, but that could've happened. I'm in a similar boat to the OP as I have to load up my winter and spring semesters with classes I'll need to get a transferable degree. That's not my counselor's fault, although I wish he would have said something when I mentioned I wanted to transfer last year.

kellyem2 20

I know a few people this has happened to. If you have your adviser's recommendations in writing, it's considered legally binding and the school has to honor it. Take anything you have to the dean of your department.

Take some responsibility!!! You have just received an important lesson in life. Maybe this extra time in school will help you realize that you - and you alone - are in charge of your life. Don't expect others to take care of you.

My advisor did this to me as well. It was a small community college. She told me these classes would be great for my degree so I took them. I was all online and had no access to the requirements for completing the degree. When I was finally able to see what I needed myself, It was already impossible to finish in time (like I needed class I and class II , and other classes that branched off of those,when I should have been on my last semester,). Transferred to a different school and seems like she had me on the right path for a different degree. I went with it because... no more time and money to correct it.

Exactly. Advisers are just that, advisers, not managers. They give you advise, but the responsibility to make a choice is on you. It's pretty ******* annoying when they give you bad advise, and damn awful when they give you outright wrong advise. But most colleges let you make your own schedules. Mine is not very great, but I make sure to be on top of my schedule needs, and while my adviser might not always like what I do, I insist and make sure my needs are met. I do wish he was better, it would have helped me not waste time on certain classes that were a GPA and money drain while I was a Freshman who didn't realize dropping/switching classes was an acceptable option, but that's life. Now maybe OP's college doesn't let them make their own schedule, or publish the requirements, which majorly sucks. But it takes a couple years to screw up a schedule that bad, and if the afore mentioned things were not the case, OP should have been on top of things. However, as a student, you pay a shit ton to in part have advisers who can actually help you, not lead you astray, so there's fault on all sides. So FML & YDI.

Queen_of_Night 20

Yep, been there done that. Sorry OP.

if its early in the semester.. get a schedule shift if or are the classes you need full?