Thanks for the help

By PineapplePizza - 15/08/2016 07:41 - United States - Irwin

Today, I should be starting my last year of college next week. But no. My old advisor messed up my schedule so badly that there's no way I'll graduate for another year. So I'll be in school five years for a four year program because as a freshman I thought my advisor was helping me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 843
You deserved it 1 390

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Make your dumbass advisor pay for your tuition, because that's not right. Messing up that badly isn't something u should let slide tho

Maybe your old advisor could have used an extra year of college. FYL OP, that sounds so shitty.

Comments

When I was in college, every major listed the requirements for graduation. My advisor was useless so I made my own plan to graduate. If you didn't have access to the requirements, you should file a complaint.

I don't understand people who rely on their advisor for everything. I made my own 4 year plan/schedule. I go in ready for her to just sign my paper and release me. I once dated a guy who blamed his advisor because he was under the required hours to be full time. Excuse me but how are you in college if you can't count? The credit hours for each class is clearly marked and you even have to write them down on your advising form. This is college. I always double check my advisor with my "second" advisor and the head of my major. Sometimes she doesn't know things that he does. Take responsibility for your own actions and don't rely on others.

Program requirements can change. You should be proactive to ensure you are meeting all of your requirements. This is on you, not the advisor you had three years ago.

The same happened to me. Near irreparable damage. Out time, permanent bad marks, and thousands of dollars out of pocket. Good luck to you in fixing/recovering.

okamiyazaki 8

Same happened to me, though it wasn't an extra year just an extra class I had to take because my incompetent advisor told me to take the wrong one. Don't trust advisors!

linzfinz337 22

Don't trust an advisor. Do the research of what classes you need yourself. If you still need help, ask someone who graduated with your degree.

at my university, I think I knew maybe 2 people in my program (petroleum engineering) that finished in 4 years. at a 5 class (~15 credits)/semester rate, it took me 4.5 years to finish. Most of my friends who went a touch slower or failed a class took 5-6 years.

No offense, but if you're a 4th year college student you should have learned your credit requirements and track them yourself. Advisors have so many students it's difficult to avoid every mistake. FYL but seriously this is kind of your own fault.

"So I'll be in school five years for a four year program because as a FRESHMAN I thought my advisor was helping me". Reading Comprehension lets us know that the problem happened their freshman year, and we can assume the "damage" was irreparable, so either way they were gonna be serving extra time.

Another "college" person who can't think for themselves. All my girls did there own schedule because I taught them to think for themselves. So who are you going to whine to when you can't get a job?