Thanks, but no thanks

By rick - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Roanoke

Today, I held the door for an elderly woman. As she walked through, she looked at me and told me I was a very handsome man and that I should meet her grandson. The woman was my grandmother, and yes, I'm straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 672
You deserved it 3 626

Top comments

That's actually incredibly sweet. She called you handsome and was scouting out a partner for you.

Well sometimes you just have to take things that old people say with a grain of salt. She is probably just old and senile.

Comments

silverhuntress 4

Lol!!! She didn't recongize you???

@1 Sometimes, when people get older, their memory can go along with their eyesight. If anything, OP, she didn't mean any harm- she could have just been pulling your leg.

Puggypark, thanks for letting us know that #1's grandma is sweet.

Possible conditions such as dementia can cause loss of memory.

Yeah are you too ignorant to know about Alzheimer's and dimensia?

And the coveted number one comment goes to.... Oh.

boom_bitch 3

I'm also assuming that is part of why he decided to make a FML post.

KellyPeterson92 10

My grandma has pretty severe dementia. She doesn't know me anymore, and I always have to remind her who I am :(

That's actually incredibly sweet. She called you handsome and was scouting out a partner for you.

Damn it Welshite! I laughed out loud during an assembly when I read your comment...lol

ashalayx 13

i dont think this was meant to be a funny comment?

Maybe. Maybe not. But I just had a 28 hour workday and hit the brew a little quickly.

Wait, 52... Did you hit the brew before, or during the assembly? I need to know now...

Calm down. I hit it after. I was falling asleep at the assembly. But since I'm on DET out here my quarters is right next to the hall, thankfully. So I started hitting the brews and saw #51s comment...at which point I just wanted to forget about the day.

She was scouting for a partner for him, which in turn was himself, so technically it wouldn't matter if he's straight or not.

28 hour work... day? Hmm, I need me some 28 hour days, but hopefully not all of them are workdays.

uhh im more concerned that she was trying to set u up with your brother or cousin unless of course she didn't recognize it was u. in that case I think memory loss is of more significance if she thinks ur gay.

Well sometimes you just have to take things that old people say with a grain of salt. She is probably just old and senile.

That's kinda awkward and did she forget that u were apart if her family??

It's most likely a mental illness... I hope you don't go around telling dementia patients that they're "awkward."

Am I the only one that doesn't see any issues with this? She tried to hook you up and complimented you.

she tried to hook him up with a guy.. she is his own grandmother and planned to hook him up with himself.. call me strange but I do see a wee bit wrong with it

andits 21

She called him gay which sometimes isn't ok for straight men and she didn't recognize her own family! How is that not a problem?

I agree that there is a problem with people assuming they know other people's sexualities just by looking at them. Though I do get suspicious when straight people get really pissed off when others assume they're gay. I mean, yeah, people shouldn't have assumed. But why is being gay such a horrible thing that you're offended somebody made that mistake? The problem is that she didn't recognise him, which is very sad.

Am I the only one that thinks OP misunderstood grandma's intentions. It's possible she did have a mental lapse or something and thought he was so similar that they would get along without realizing it was the same person. The "you're handsome" part could just be an unrelated compliment

Looks like grandma's Alzheimer's is kicking in..

Ecudaniel 16

well ill take it as a compliment... the handsome part that is... ohhh what will we do without grandmas uh?

Well if she's that old she's probably part blind, and you're still attractive? **** yeah!!! Or that's why she thought you were good looking...

Use it to your advantage... Point her over to the next pretty girl you see...

you should have said that shes a beautiful lady and you have a perfect handsome gentleman she has to meet, then mention your grandpa!