Source?

By Anonymous - 05/11/2018 15:30

Today, I accidentally put down the wrong year for my university graduation, so when my prospective boss was checking my references he found no mention of my name in that year's list of graduates. He accused me of faking my qualifications and refused to hire me. It was a 6-figure salary. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 272
You deserved it 3 575

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Frankly, if he can't accept your reasonable explanation, which would easily be verifiable, do you really want to work for a guy like that? A 6 figure salary is great but so is having a boss who isn't a psycho. Besides, if your qualifications allow you to aspire to such great money, you should be able to find a job for another company.

Alup132 22

I’d think you would’ve been more careful to double check over your application with that amount of money at stake. However, if you tried explaining to your boss and he won’t listen, then that’s on him.

Comments

I guess faking it until you were making it didn’t pan out.

Alup132 22

I’d think you would’ve been more careful to double check over your application with that amount of money at stake. However, if you tried explaining to your boss and he won’t listen, then that’s on him.

Frankly, if he can't accept your reasonable explanation, which would easily be verifiable, do you really want to work for a guy like that? A 6 figure salary is great but so is having a boss who isn't a psycho. Besides, if your qualifications allow you to aspire to such great money, you should be able to find a job for another company.

Look at it from the Boss' perspective: You have an applicant for a position with a 6 figure salary and your applicant can't even be bothered to check his own application for possible mistakes. Would you trust him with the responsibility that usually comes with a job that pays a 6 figure salary? Even when the applicant could explain this away as a mistake that is a mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

TxKitten79 10

The type of job that comes with that big of a paycheck more than likely comes with a lot of responsibilities, in which attention to detail is mandatory. That careless of a mistake in a contract could cost the company tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. Does it suck for OP? Yes. But a mistake like that by an employee could cost the boss his job. Attention to detail is important to bosses. woukd you hire a newspaper editor who misspelled their own name on an application? Same thing.

That's true. My future job (what I'm in school for) is one where if I make a mistake, then in the worst case scenario, someone could die. Sure, there are checks in place but all it takes is one perfect storm.

sparx1_1 12

He's accusing you of faking your qualifications because it's the simplest and easiest way to get rid of you without any hassle. He has no obligation to fix your mistakes for you, especially when there are other applicants who submitted correct information. When the salary is 6 figures, employers expect better than stupid mistakes like this.

In that case, why not just say that attention to details is important and not having double-checked his CV was a serious mistake and a deal-breaker? OP said the guy accused him of faking his credentials, that's a serious thing to say and reeks of paranoia.

Should also be able to proof read the resume and type the correct graduation year

onceuponatime456 16

If I was hiring you, even after you proved to me of your credentials, I would still not hire you. If you pay that little attention to your resume, there is no way I am hiring you for a 6 figure job! YDI!!!

Mungolikecandy 19

If you can make a basic mistake like that on your CV it is unlikely a boss would hire you on a 6 figure salary. If you cannot even check things like that think of the money he could lose when you make an error on something which matters to the business. That alone would be a reason to not put you through to the next stage never mind the fact you also appeared to be faking a degree,

Exactly. By the way love the screen name.

Such carelessness would disqualify you for an entry-level job, unless the employer is desperate to get a warm body to fill a slot.

How do you not know your own graduation year? I've had five different ones and know them all, as well as what they were for. People with no common sense or brains shouldn't make six figures a year, sorry.

ohsnapword 21

If I'm paying someone a 6-figure salary, I expect that employee to have some attention to detail.

Paul B. Gyurcsanszky 14

If you can make a minor mistake like that on your resume how can any employer offing a six figure income trust you not to overlook something that seems minor to you but very important to a client? No matter how much the job pays attention to detail is important for employers to look for in potential employees. The misplace meant of a single decimal or comma can be the difference between £100,000.00 and £10,000.000 do you see the difference? What if a client was born in 1975 and you put down 1976? Now there is no record of a John Smith born in 1976 in Staffordshire.