Slogging for nothing

By JoannaG25 - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - Netherlands

Today, I was told that in order to be considered for more jobs, I should remove my college degree from my resume. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 224
You deserved it 4 072

Top comments

yes.. they don't have to pay you as much that way.

Comments

Having your degree on your resume can make you over qualified for the job. No one wants to hire someone who may end up taking their job. When applying for jobs that are related to your degree, it should be on there. You're stupid if you leave it off then.

chrissysweathear_fml 0
Anthrophobia 2

It's possible that the OP's overqualified. The job they applied for probably can't afford to pay people too much per hour.

tb15 0

Let me guess...University of Pheonix

dirtyoldman27560 0

I do know hiring managers who eliminate applicants based in a degree from Univ of Phoenix. When you've got 100+ applicants for a single job, you start eliminating to narrow down to a few you'll seriously consider.

justin_brdfrd 0

you went to one of those bogus unaccredited tech schools u see on tv didn't you?

Maybe OP went to South Harmon Institute of Technology

Hehe, nice. Though the OP could have gone to a legitimate school. I'm attending a prestigious university, and about 6 jobs turned me down for being too educated and overqualified. And I haven't even gotten the degree yet!

You're obviously applying for jobs that are beneath you, then. If it's some stupid major (ie English), then you need to just remove your major from your resume.

Doesn't work like that in the Netherlands :)

#23 Ah...Yeah, that's very possible. In that case, the same thing has been happening to me lately! Bummer.