Risky comeback

By Anon - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Singapore - Singapore

Today, my mum asked me, "Shouldn't you be cleaning your room?" On impulse, I replied, "Shouldn't you be in the kitchen?" I've never been hit so hard in my life. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 414
You deserved it 127 550

Top comments

You must say it so often for it to become a reflex huh?

Yeah...I can't see how you didn't deserve that. YDI, indeed!

Comments

The fact that you say it so much it has become instinct, says that you probably deserved this.

crazytwinsmom 25

Impulse does not equate to instinct.

NagainaFier 16

The two are virtually the same thing. Technically impulse is the desire to act, versus instinct which is the fixed pattern of behavior in response to a stimulator. Either way, if OP's reaction is to run their mouth like that to their mother, they deserve it.

Geez, 60, are you just going through and saying that on every comment that mentions instinct?

I bet you 5 bucks that you'll never make that comment again :)

X_Codes 11

"instinctively"? How often are you retorting with that?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'll probably get thumbed down for this too, but I totally agree with you. Who the hell hits their kid that hard? The kid was obviously being an a-hole but there are better ways to punish than smacking the shit out of them

You shouldn't hit people in the first place and one day ur "discipline" will be taken as child abuse

Octwo 16

I feel sorry for the undisciplined self-entitled douche-nozzles of children you will produce. I don't believe in hitting a child for petty things but they need to learn there is a line you don't cross. If you don't teach them, one day a stranger will. There are some things a "time-out" or a grounding will not fix as well a strong spanking. Psychopaths are born from years of mental and physical abuse, not their mother slapping them across the face for an incredibly inappropriate comment.

NagainaFier 16

I dunno about you, but where I live, that line between discipline and abuse is if marks are left at the end of it (welts, bruises, cuts, etc.). Fact of the matter is, fear of pain is a STRONG incentive to deter behavior like that. Time outs and grounding might work perfectly well for some kids, and that's fine, but personally (having been spanked as a kid myself), if the ground rules have been laid out beforehand ("If you talk back, I'll pop you; if you don't listen when I tell you not to do that, you'll get two licks), then it can be a very effective tool for curbing bad behavior; the child knows the consequences, yet does the behavior anyway, and must handle the consequences. However, like everything, it has to be done in moderation, and you shouldn't be whipping out the studded belt over spilt milk...

I've seen the results of people who just put their kids on time out and most of them don't listen!!! I always got spanked. I still love my mother, and I don't resent her at all. So, unless you are a parent and not spanking your child has still resulted in your child never talking back and behaving when you tell them too then you have no right to judge how the mother disciplines her stupid, rude kid.

rachilio 26

Actually, if you ask a cop they will tell you this: If a teenager says something rude to their parent, and they slap him on the mouth, that's actually considered discipline. However had she started to beat him beat him, that's a different story. And just because it's the hardest OP has ever been hit, does not mean that it's child abuse. For all we know, they've barely ever been hit by anyone before, and probably wasn't hit that hard as to call it child abuse.

Sorry 101, hit thumbs down by accident. I meant to thumbs up. I got plenty of spankings when I was growing up and I turned out a lot better than most of the kids I grew up with, who are now rude, self-entitled "adults" with kids of their own who are going to end up just like them. I'm so glad Canada still has corporal punishment, cause my kids will get raised the same way I was. And for all you people saying that hitting is the same as spanking-no, it's not. Hitting is with the intent of hurting. Spankings are meant to sting so that the kid figures out that there are consequences to their poor behavior.

titibug823 11

He was talking back to her, giving her sass when SHE is the parent! Most parents I know would give their child a whooping for that!

If you ask me, I'd have to say that OP's mom did him a big favor. Maybe next time he won't be so impulsive with the sass to authority, because next time, possibly with someone else, such as his boss or a cop, the consequences could be a lot worse.

I don't think hitting a child will discipline them. It has different effects on every child, but for me, it just made me fear my parents whenever they wore a belt. Don't think I'm against disciplining children; I am all for it. But, there are plenty of other ways to teach them a lesson, you don't need to smack the shit out of them.

He deserved it. The mom wasn't beating him or intended to injure him in anyway, it was only to show him discipline. His comment deserved one smack and she did not cross the line or abuse him in anyway. Kids need to learn to show their parents respect. Kids today aren't disciplined right.

How would they be a shitty parent? Because they have a different opinion of discipline than you? I was never spanked or hit as a child and I never dare insult my parents. Contrary to what most people on here think, you CAN be an effective parent without ever hitting a kid.

Ydi, but I understand the instinctive reflex to come back with something like that. It can be a blessing or a curse.

Insults as a reflex, possibly. Sexist comments as a reflex, not okay.

I didn't quite mean just insults. Witty comebacks and so on can be funny, or get you in trouble. Personal experience x.x

To your mother? In my opinion there are certain things you shouldn't say to your parents. Like what OP said. When my mom is around me, I'm always censoring what I say.

Wizardo 33

You definitely deserve that for having sexism and assy jokes hardwired into your hollow head.

Notyours007 9

If you are going to be smart enough to say those comments then you ought to be smart enough to be an arms length away

Why do OPs keep saying "instinctively" when really they mean, "impulsively?" This is about the third or fourth time I've seen this happen.

I don't think I've hit the "You deserve it" button so hard or so fast in my life.

I don't think I've laughed so hard at an FML in my life.

What part did you laugh at? Was it the "shouldn't you be in the kitchen" comment? I mean that's HILARIOUS. Hahaha, no.

Doc, I think I was right behind you with the YDI. His first mistake was mouthing off to his mother. His second was underestimating her reaction time, and being within arm's reach.