Not now

By Anonymous - 25/02/2013 23:00 - United States - Marlton

Today, at my mother's funeral, as everyone was around her casket for the viewing, my 5-year-old son in cluelessness of what was going on shouted, "Grandma is more fun when she isn't sleeping." Everyone cried. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 512
You deserved it 3 978

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yessi_Boo 14

Oh my goodness... This has to have broken your heart. I'm so sorry, i'm speachless

Kids are so honest... your son is definitely correct when he says that his grandma is more fun when she isn't sleeping. Sorry for your loss OP!

Comments

Sorry for your loss OP. your son sounds really cute though, bless his heart for that comment, even if it did make them cry.

hanymandy 6

Why would you bring a 5 year old to a funeral?

This FML actually made me cry. Your son is (thankfully) still innocent; maybe you can explain to him kind of what's going on in another occasion. I'm sorry for your lose, OP...I wish I could give you a hug.

skyeyez9 24

I went to a funeral when I was 7 (my friend's older brother died of a heart attack at age 15). I remember I didn't understand why everybody was so sad. I just thought my friend's brother was in a deep sleep and would wake up after the viewing was done. And I thought it was odd someone trimmed his nails, gave him a nerdy haircut (cut his bangs way too short) and makeup and that he would be mad when he woke up and looked in the mirror. OP, At least by your son's comment, he showed he loved his grandma. He thought she was a fun person. Kids at that age think different about death and don't understand it. When I was 7, I refused to believe my friends brother died, because at my thinking, I thought only old people died.

That's really sweet of your son though. He's 5 and if you didn't explain what's going on, how would he know? Your son could have said something disparaging instead, so be thankful he was really sweet instead.

Rachaelc23 8

I know how hard that can be. Just remember he is a 5 year old being just that. Give praise that he is so innocent and remembers his grandma being fun. I send my condolences.

Omg I'm so sorry for your loss, and so sorry that your son doesn't understand that she wasn't sleeping, I hope soon you can tell him in a gentle manner.

My brother said something similar at our grandma's funeral when he was 3 years old. He asked our dad loudly, "Why did grandma die in a box?" It was a sad occasion, but it was such an innocent question, we had to laugh.