Misleading

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Australia - Melbourne

Today, I went to dinner with a guy I like and paid the $120 bill. After joking that he was an expensive date, he replied, "I'm laughing at how you think this is a date." FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 133
You deserved it 6 525

Top comments

I apologize on behalf of all men for the behavior of that douche.

Don't even waste your time with him then. Make sure you collect his half of the bill too.

Comments

Wow. Who lets one person foot the whole bill if it isn't a date? I mean, even if it is a date you should offer to pay your way.

Wtf was it then. I hope you don't go out with him cause he sounds like a complete dick.

Awh. Now you can send him the Bill in the mail "it's funny you thought you wouldn't owe me!"

katie_xoxo3 16

I won't downvote you, but I fail to see your point. None of the comments left seem to confuse these two things, so why did you feel the need to clarify?

Dont worry! I dont know the Word in English, but you are a female gentleman, its the guy that is supposed to pay, best of luck to you

hunteryager 18

Traditionally guys paid because women did not hold jobs or relied on their men to take care of them. In the early 1900s women relied on men more than they do now. But as time has gone by, women and men have become equal and thus those old traditions should not be looked to as the right way anymore. Op might have been a gay guy for all we know, since gender was not specified. The guy Op took out was ungrateful and, if it was not a date, should not have taken advantage of Op's generosity.

spiritfang11237 16

in my eyes even if OP was a guy and his date was a girl and the date pulled this stunt, I would still be thinking that she should pay for half at least or even her own portion.

I have been out with guys who asked me to "pay half." Most of them were fine, it wasn't more than a dollar or two difference in cost of meals. One time I went out with a guy, he ordered $50 steak, wine, while I had $7 soup and water. He told the waitress we were "splitting the bill down the middle." I gave him ten dollars, told him to put the change towards a tip and left.

Funny how six comments so far suggest attacking him. I doubt they would recommend violence if it was a man who had paid for a woman. I'd also suggest that people would be far less outraged if a man paid for a woman's meal, when she had no intention of starting a romantic relationship but just wanted a free meal.

Doesn't matter, outrage either direction. You go out with me and the bill breaks $100. We just had a date. You at least say sorry, you aren't my type to be lady like, and it ends on a civil note. Say thanks for the free food and act like I'm an idiot for assuming, then I'm allowed to be outraged.

$120 is a LOT of money for a dinner. Some people are so ungrateful.

Sweetpea22 14

I can't even say how much of a jerk I think OP's date was