Meet the parents

By Scared - 28/08/2020 05:03

Today, I met my girlfriend's parents. Remember the show Honey Boo Boo? They seem sophisticated compared to the family of weirdoes I got to meet. It's almost got me reconsidering my planned proposal. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 397
You deserved it 243

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That’s a tough situation. It depends on how close girlfriend is to her family. If they are very close and frequently interact then it’s reason to think things through carefully. If she’s not that close then it shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. Also if girlfriend seems reasonably intelligent but her parents not, then she won the genetic lottery... One more word, as we get older we tend to take on to some degree the characteristics of at least one of our parents. Try to figure out if girlfriend is more like her mom or dad in personality and if that one is tolerable or not. OP, I wish you well. This is not an easy thing to handle.

Wait... you had planned on proposing and hadn’t already met her parents? 😬

Comments

Wait... you had planned on proposing and hadn’t already met her parents? 😬

I've been marries for over 6 years, with my husband for 8, he still hasn't met my parents.

I didn’t meet my wife’s parents until after proposing. Her parents lived in a very rural area in a foreign country (no internet, and limited phone contact), and we only travelled there after we were engaged. They’re wonderful people, but there just was no way to meet them otherwise.

good it worked out for you two, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You obviously love her enough to consider proposing, don’t let her family ruin that. That’s not really fair to her.

That’s a tough situation. It depends on how close girlfriend is to her family. If they are very close and frequently interact then it’s reason to think things through carefully. If she’s not that close then it shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. Also if girlfriend seems reasonably intelligent but her parents not, then she won the genetic lottery... One more word, as we get older we tend to take on to some degree the characteristics of at least one of our parents. Try to figure out if girlfriend is more like her mom or dad in personality and if that one is tolerable or not. OP, I wish you well. This is not an easy thing to handle.

OP, she can't pick and choose the family she was given. Unless your gf is problematic in a different way, I think you need to get over yourself just a little bit. I'm sure you're no ray of sunshine either, and come with your own baggage.

Nothing about this reads as OP judging their girlfriend. It reads as someone thinking "can I stand being around these people for the rest of my life" Depending on the closeness of them and her that could be a factor.

Meeting them should happen WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before a proposal.. Why so long till they met?

bloopaloop 27

Well, that’s why the sooner you meet the family the better

Mathalamus 24

It is, in fact, easily possible to entirely avoid her family.

Sophistication? You're missing the most important thing about meeting the parents! What really matters is: was the Mom hot? That's what you're getting in 20-something years (or much sooner if they are stereotypical hillbillies.)

I married my wife before meeting her family and was worried about how her mom looked, following your logic. but when I did meet her, I thought "Jackpot!"

Damn, that's made me want to rewatch that dumpster fire of a show.

Lots of people are weird, and that's fine. The real question is are they toxic and abusive? If they aren't, maybe just take the win.