Insurance is a racket

By Chriso - 17/11/2009 11:48 - Australia

Today, I was finally discharged from hospital after being in there for one month, I arrive home to find a letter from a debt collection agency for my unpaid car insurance premium, and another letter from my car insurer to say that they aren't covering my accident due to non payment of premium. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 421
You deserved it 3 957

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This means you were behind in paying your car insurance BEFORE the accident even happened. Expensive mistake.

perdix 29

Don't expect any sympathy from us Americans. You are screwed just out the cost of a car. Had your accident occurred here, you would have racked up about $500,000 in medical bills and your private health insurance (our only option) would have been cancelled. And you'd be screwed out of the cost of a car, too.

Comments

suesblues 0

Um, you had friends and/or family to pick up your bills and hand them off so you could pay them, right? If so, you brought it on yourself. If not, you brought it on yourself for not having a backup plan. Sure it sucks, but what else could you expect? Bills don't pay themselves.

boatkicker 4

While I do think OP deserves it, your logc makes no sense. If you did this, YDI. If you didn't, YDI for not doing that. They deserve it because there are no right answers?

You would have been way behind before your accident to be in collections, so effectively you knew you weren't insured at the time of your accident. Sorry you have all that on top of the medical bills, but the accident is more of an fml than the insurance situation, since you did it to yourself.

HiddenAce91 6

That is why I would have had it set up to automatically take from my checking.

That sucks, but that's why you should get someone to collect your mail.

halfglassfull 0

Usually if a person is in an accident that is covered by the insurance company, mailing in a copy of the hospital bill and dates to prove the dates that were spent in the hospital should be enough to correct the problem.

Don_fml 0

I call BS. If you were paid up when the accident occurred, they are obligated to cover it.

FAKE or you are not telling the whole truth. Collections agencies take more than 30 days to take action. This means you either weren't paying your insurance before the accident or you lied about the whole thing.

Veryberry05 0

If anything, you have proof you were in the hospital, but I agree with some of these people, you have lied.