In my day…

By thanks dad - 01/08/2020 02:02

Today, we were slowly introducing my daughter to the pool to help her get over her terrible fear of water. My father-in-law scoffed, called us pussies, and tossed my daughter straight into the water. When I threw him out, he insisted he was just trying to teach her to swim "the right way." FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 206
You deserved it 281

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Marcella1016 31

I almost drowned this way. In this case, I was 8 and it was my 12 year old sister. She insisted this was the way for me to learn. I remember thrashing in the water, making it to the wall she wanted me to touch (it was only about 3 feet away), touching it underwater, turning back to her for her to pull me above the surface, and her backing away because she didn’t see me touch the wall. This is all I remember. She told me years later that a lady jumped in and pulled me out. I don’t remember that part, just the near-drowning and the vivid fear. To this day, I cannot swim, and I feel like I am drowning or being waterboarded if there is too much water in my face. I see movies of people in the shower just letting the water rush down over their whole face and NOPE I’ve tried it and it feels like I’m drowning. I’m jealous of people who can do that because it looks relaxing and pleasant but it just feels like torture to me. It took me years to connect the incident with that, as well as my inability to go “down deep” into water - even at 3 feet. **** people who teach kids to swim that way. It’s just a psychotic dick move with a complete lack of empathy for the struggling and terrified child. ******* shitbags.

I see a number of "I learned this way comments" and frankly it doesn't matter. The choice of how to teach the child was the parents. They were right to toss him out, simply on him disrespecting their wishes alone, to say nothing of their daughter having a legit fear that may now take years to fix. Father-In-Law can **** right off, thanks.

Comments

That's how a lot of parents used to teach their kids, but that is NOT okay these days. Kudos to you for throwing him out.