Imagine if we had a social safety net…

By Anonymous - 23/12/2020 19:56

Today, I was called selfish for complaining about COVID lockdowns. Thanks to lockdowns, my family's restaurant has been permanently closed, I've burned through all my savings, and we are going to lose our house. I guess being upset about my family's plight is selfish. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 269
You deserved it 163

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tounces7 27

You should be upset that the government isn't doing more to support businesses that are shutting down.

In my country restaurants and bars closed for visitors but are allowed to serve food for take out or home deliveries. It's the best option in this situation.

Comments

In my country restaurants and bars closed for visitors but are allowed to serve food for take out or home deliveries. It's the best option in this situation.

tounces7 27

You should be upset that the government isn't doing more to support businesses that are shutting down.

Yes your position sucks. But as much as I try to see it from the other side, you should to. Imagine that you've just put in your 40 hours of work, same as you have for the last 10 months, dealing with increasingly angry customers about safety protocols, that you aren't enforcing them, that you ARE enforcing them, why you don't have whatever they want...but your home now. With your roommate. Who's been on unemployment for 10 months. And while you've been working they've been at home binging Hulu and Netflix and YouTube, playing every game they've ever purchased and then buying more games, and maybe filling out applications online. As you sit down to rest your aching feet they pipe up about how horrifyingly boring it is to be unemployed and how the first thing they want to do when they get paid is take a vacation and travel somewhere. You're telling me that wouldn't roast you just a little?

no it's not people are stupid I'm so sorry

It is selfish to expect society to make the pandemic worse just to pay you today. If we did lockdowns right in the first place, the outcomes would have been better.

I live in a country where we took look down seriously. Now I'm having afternoon tea with my son because cases are so low. Maybe blame people who don't think the virus is real. Or the government who isn't helping your family stay afloat.

Working in a public facing job means there's a strong chance that because of the lockdowns you still have all your family to be pissed at the lockdowns. Maybe have a thought for those who have lost loved ones.

mccuish 25

My workplace is still open for takeout

xxlk4xx 6

you are not selfish for having valid feelings of frustration with this whole situation! yes others could have it worse but it doesn't make what you're going through any less irritating!