Homeschooling sucks

By jj. - 10/03/2022 16:00

Today, it’s the hundredth day of me being homeschooled. It’s also the hundredth day in a row where my dad has assigned a five-page essay. I told my him I’m feeling burnt out. He said, “That’s not a real thing. Stop whining like a little baby and write the essay.” FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 335
You deserved it 172

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It should be easy. Write your essay about "Why Homeschooling is Almost Always Bullshit," "Burnout: Symptoms and Treatment," or "Toxic Masculinity." Your case is the typical one for the first essay.

I always find it baffling that anyone would think they're qualified to homeschool. Even at junior high level, are you qualified to teach English and literature, a foreign language (ideally two), maths, physics, chemistry, biology, intro to IT, history/geography, civics, intro to arts and music, and PE? I doubt those morons who homeschool are remotely qualified to teach even a single one of those topics properly.

Comments

It should be easy. Write your essay about "Why Homeschooling is Almost Always Bullshit," "Burnout: Symptoms and Treatment," or "Toxic Masculinity." Your case is the typical one for the first essay.

I always find it baffling that anyone would think they're qualified to homeschool. Even at junior high level, are you qualified to teach English and literature, a foreign language (ideally two), maths, physics, chemistry, biology, intro to IT, history/geography, civics, intro to arts and music, and PE? I doubt those morons who homeschool are remotely qualified to teach even a single one of those topics properly.

Me, too! My parents are geniuses, but if they homeschooled me, I don't think I would have gotten much further than arithmetic in math. I'd kick ass in humanities, though!

I wonder what he's thinking. Essay writing isn't even a particularly valuable skill.

I know, right?!?!?! Kids need to learn penmanship, whittling and the use of a slide rule to compete in today's job market.

it is valuable, but it is pretty specific in the job market. While it can be used to teach proper format and grade overall ability, and distinct lack of in areas, it isn't the main focus. punctuation (which I fail at alot I day to day life), spelling, sentence forming, vocabulary and use of the right words for the interaction are all more important than essay formating most times. unless OP is being trained for a specific office job I would say he need practical skills more. the ability to tailor your resume to the field and employer is important, you don't write a 5 page essay for most labour jobs, skilled or unskilled, you give the generally very busy interviewer a list of qualifications, and experience and they get a feel for you as a person.

walkerbait612 2

Gen X dad. He is teaching you a valuable lesson. That will not get you out of work at a job or in a regular classroom. Sometimes, especially in a job situation, you become "burnt out" because you are doing a lot of the same tasks everyday. You just have to push through so you can pay them bills. Because the bill collectors also don't care if you're "burnt out".