Heartless

By Anonymous - 24/08/2020 02:02

Today, I received a positive Covid-19 test. Despite being largely asymptomatic, the company I work for decided that I've behaved with "gross neglect" by coming to work in an attempt to support the company's ambition, and promptly fired me with no benefits. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 687
You deserved it 1 537

Same thing different taste

Top comments

did you go in before or after you got the test? if it was before that sucks, if it was after you completely deserve it.

bl3ur0z3 17

"Largely asymptomatic" is not completely asymptomatic. Also, asymptomatic carriers can spread viruses, and do so more often than symptomatic carriers because they're stupid and think no symptoms = not contagious. Your employer probably provided guidelines when the pandemic started (as 99.9% of employers did) indicating a requirement to self quarantine (or at least not show up and expose everybody else) if you've been exposed or suspect you have the virus. The fact that you felt it necessary to get tested means one of those applies and the fact that you went to work anyway means you didn't care about exposing everybody else. YDI.

Comments

theyellowgoose 3

they never said they went to work after getting the positive result. everyone is ready to judge this person... they may have gotten tested as a routine thing for work. they could have been going into work thinking they had allergies. you don't know...then got fired when they found out they were sick. op may not have had any idea.

If I'm getting this right, you got a test, and were fired after informing your employers of the positive result. You were showing almost no symptoms, and therefore didn't think you had the virus. What I don't know is, why were you tested? Did you suspect exposure? Were you self-isolated after suspecting exposure? Were you self-isolated before receiving the results of the test? If your answer to any of those yes-or-no questions is yes, then you deserve it. You WERE acting with gross neglect, no quotes needed, towards the health and lives of your coworkers, and they yeeted you out as you richly deserved. If your answer is no to all of those questions, then they were in the wrong. Getting tested, staying away for that period, and coming in to give your best efforts until you had reason to suspect you were a danger is something that should be praised, not punished.

ashwin420 0

they can't fire you for having a virus you should fit this for sure

Good, you deserved to be fired! You may have minimal symptoms but that doesn’t mean everyone in your workplace and their families will & you’ve now espoused them all. You could very easily have killed a work mate or a member of their family.

randybryant799 20

You went to work after testing positive?? Sorry but you totally deserve to be fired.