Happy Nothing

By Cheapass - 07/11/2021 02:00

Today, it’s my birthday. My boyfriend didn’t get me a present, or do anything special for me, because, “The rent’s paid, you have a fridge full of groceries… What more do you want?” Later on, he asked me why did I, “look so sad?” FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 321
You deserved it 246

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It sounds like he pays for all the rent, utilities and food. If so, what more do you want? If you're splitting the expenses, cake.

slkeithh 14

Yeah, this won't last long. I left mine of 5 years because, in response to asking him to take me on a date, he said I should be thankful that he kept around my preferred liquor in the house. As if I couldn't do that on my own. Well! Now I take myself on dates and I definitely don't gaslight or marginalize my needs.

Comments

He doesn't deserve the title of Boyfriend.

Dump his ass and go find someone that appreciate you & makes you feel loved. Don’t settle

It sounds like he pays for all the rent, utilities and food. If so, what more do you want? If you're splitting the expenses, cake.

slkeithh 14

Yeah, this won't last long. I left mine of 5 years because, in response to asking him to take me on a date, he said I should be thankful that he kept around my preferred liquor in the house. As if I couldn't do that on my own. Well! Now I take myself on dates and I definitely don't gaslight or marginalize my needs.

diraven 15

Wait until you're married for awhile. My wife's birthday present to me was letting me not have to get a birthday present for her. Christmas is so much easier now too.

TomeDr 24

Does his family celebrate birthdays? My ex’s family made a big deal about them and mine didn’t. Communicate with him and tell him how you feel.

Does this mean that he pays for the rent and groceries? If so, take this as a sign that he's getting tired of carrying you. Time to seek employment. If this is some minimalism thing -- "We have what we need, so why do you want anything?" -- then this might be a huge incompatibility. Or he's using minimalism as an excuse to be a dick. Time to move on.