Grossed out

By stop eating animals - 17/10/2023 15:00

Today, a barbecue joint opened near my apartment, close enough that I can smell the kitchen exhaust. I'm a vegan activist, so smelling animals being burned is a serious trauma for me. Now I either have to either move or constantly feel sick and depressed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 290
You deserved it 2 209

Same thing different taste

Top comments

potatopotatopotato 6

First off, you need to grow the hell up. Secondly, this is a traumatic experience for you? Wow, I don't even feel a bit sorry for you.

OP, people are dying in wars and this is “trauma” to you? Get a grip… Move if you don’t like the smell but this is not exactly fitting of the word “trauma”.

Comments

potatopotatopotato 6

First off, you need to grow the hell up. Secondly, this is a traumatic experience for you? Wow, I don't even feel a bit sorry for you.

I'm sorry you're going through that, but I hope you're not shaming people for eating meat, preventing access to it, or spreading misinformation during your activism. If not, FYL. If you do, I won't say YDI but instead "then I guess you're moving."

Seems like a sign that you need to become an omnivore like Natural Selection made you.

veganism is just as cruel to animals. my burger was killed quickly with a bolt. your burger was grown on a farm that displaced or killed a lot of animals when their habitat was destroyed. soy is one of the worst for habitat destruction quit being insufferable you mass animal murderer. people like you are the reason we laugh at vegans

I'm not a vegan myself, I'm not arguing that animals aren't displaced to grow the food that vegans eat and I'm not saying that there aren't environmental issues with some of the specific crops used to make vegan food - but raising animals for food does have a big environmental impact. There's the land the animals live on, and then there's the land used to grow the food for the animals to eat. You need a lot more crops to raise enough animals to feed a human than you do to feed a human directly on a plant-based diet, that's just a fact, and native animals get displaced to free up the land to do so.

That's just untrue from two standpoints. First: not all agricultural land is created equal. In three broad categories in descending order of soil fertility, there is "suitable for crop growing", "suitable for trees", and "nothing else will grow here particularly well except for grass so we'll put some grazers here I guess". The third category cannot be bumped up to prime crop land without metric tons of fertilizer, which is *also* bad for the environment, or putting greenhouses there with carefully controlled climates that take a ton of electricity. Second: the idea that "the same amount of land that can grow 1kg of beef can also grow 10kg pf veggies" is based off the idea that land is the limiting factor, and not water. In most of Europe, that is probably correct. But the whole world is not Europe. There are whole entire swathes of the planet with tons of land but very little water. And cows, goats, and sheep are excellent at ruminating the moisture out of brambly little plants not fit for human consumption. I agree that the overconsumption of meat is damaging to our environment, but I strongly disagree with your apparent assertion that meat eaten in moderation cannot fit into responsible land management. We've been doing that for millennia, and livestock didn't become a main source of air pollution until the post-war economic boom made people eat more and more meat. Two side notes: 1) even if we woke up tomorrow and all the livestock on the planet disappeared, they would just be replaced with massive monocultures like what's already happening to fit vegans' lifestyles. Which are *also* horrifically bad for the environment and are a famine waiting to happen. 2) literally not everyone is physically capable of becoming vegan. The three main sources of protein in vegan diets are also three out of eight of the most common food allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, and soy), not to mention the people intolerant or allergic to gluten and the people with issues digesting specific nutrients from plant-based diets (I have personally been told by a GP, a nutritionist and a phlebotomist to please eat meat semifrequently because my body already hates absorbing iron there, for example, and plant-based irons are absorbed slower). Are all of those people supposed to just die?

I'm well aware that managed correctly, raising grazing animals can be the best use of some types of agricultural land, and that in some circumstances they can even be beneficial to the health of said land - I work in agri-environmental funding, and grazing sheep and/or cattle is a required part of some maintenance and restoration schemes. However, the modern systems of intensively raising less efficient livestock (in terms of food-to-meat conversion) fed on crops that were grown on fertile arable land (corn-fed cattle and chickens, for example) is less efficient and sustainable than using that land to grow crops for humans to eat directly. I also wasn't arguing that a fully plant-based diet is suitable for everyone - I personally still regularly eat fish and occasionally eat meat because I also have a tendency to be low in some nutrients that are much more bioavailable in animal-based foods. I do reduce my consumption and lean more plant-based than I used to, though, because it is unavoidably true that reduced meat demand is beneficial to both the environment and efficient food production.

Okay yeah, we seem to be in agreement then and with similar life decisions re: meat consumption. Sorry for coming at you like that, I'm just infinitely more used to people who don't seem to know much of anything about land management and don't care about the people involved. 😅 I agree that I for one would also love to see more heritage breeds and such that can thrive without massive amounts of human intervention and are given the chance to actually have a pretty decent life and feed on the grass that's already right there instead of being fed corn that they can't quite digest because they need to grow as fat as possible as soon as possible. Maybe someday, sadly.

OP, soy is one of the worst...? And what do burger cows eat? A crapton of? Soy.

L0life29 6

mmmmmm BBQ!! go protest another one of your liberal lies….****** commy!!

there is no world in which this is traumatic. you've never walked past a McDonald's either? you need to get a grip

JillianJuneBug 39

People like this is why the word “trauma” is becoming desensitized. Stop using it flippantly!

By this point, the animals don't feel the heat.

OP, people are dying in wars and this is “trauma” to you? Get a grip… Move if you don’t like the smell but this is not exactly fitting of the word “trauma”.

You must have had an extremely charmed life to consider a barbecue place existing near you "serious trauma".